Edge 130 Plus elevation accuracy is poor following switch off and on in mid ride.

Having been delighted with my Edge 130 I upgraded to an Edge 130 Plus.  I noticed a problem, namely that occasionally it would stop updating elevation, both in real time and on the final data.  OK, I can correct height online but it's dispiriting slogging up a 100m 12% gradient to be told that you have gained no height and it's flat.

I investigated further and discovered that the problem ALWAYS occurs after switching off the device mid-ride, then switching back on.  I carried out an experiment.

With the Edge 130 and 130Plus recording I did a quick up and down ride.  Both devices were accurate, and consistent with each other.  I switched both off and on again and repeated the up-and-down ride.  The 130 gave a similar result to the first lap, but the 130Plus elevation started to lag, only updating after a minute or so.  See graph below.  The Edge130Plus is the red line

I showed this data to Garmin Tech Support who agreed that there was a problem and agreed to replace it with a refurbished unit, which arrived yesterday.  And this one has EXACLTY the same problem.  See graph below.  The unit takes more than a minute to update elevation (on longer rides I've known it to fail to update for many minutes.

So now I await Garmin's response.  I wonder whether anyone else has had this problem?

• Congratulations on getting up Teide.  Shame about the bug

• I have the same problem and I don't understand how Garmin has allowed the EDGE 130+ all these years to have a "Power off" option that then allows you to continue training when you turn it on again, but with the problem of not recording correctly after training!

As someone told me a few days ago... Garmin is no longer the same Garmin!

• 4 years later I have the same elevation problem on my Edge 130 Plus. It is clearly a software defect that Garmin has no interest in fixing.

• Yes - Same problem - Had a 1030 plus replaced it had huge elevation faults, elevation and grade would just stop working during most rides. The replacement unit isn't to bad.  It doesn't record on very low rises as my 1030 plus does and then if on Pause mode, it will restart recording the distance and elevation fine, until you stop for 10 minutes or more and the unit turns off. On restart the distance keeps recording yet the grade and Total ascent don't continue to operate. so frustrating.