This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why did my edge 130 plus suddenly decide to use my cadence sensor as a speed sensor and how do I correct it?

I paired my edge 130 plus with a heart rate monitor and a cadence sensor.  This worked fine for a while but one day The garmin edge 130 + decided to use my cadence sensor as a speed sensor.  Since then, all data has been meaningless.  How do I reassign teh sensor to measure cadence.  There's no need for a speed sensor - gps does it

• What sensor do you have? Some sensors can work as either a cadence sensor or a speed sensor, depending on initial configuration.

• I replied via email, but it's not shown up here. It's a Magene speed/cadence

• Ok, that explains it. The magene sensor can act as either a cadence sensor or a speed sensor. The current mode is determined when you power on the sensor after inserting the battery. If you did not change a battery recently, and still the sensor changed its mode, then perhaps the sensor powered off unintentionally for some reason and then powered on again. See the manual for the sensor on how to select desired mode.

• Many thanks. I think you have sorted outy issue. I will find out when i cycle home from work

• Good to here that it is sorted, but for many of us, there is a great need for a speed sensor.  With long straight runs, GPS alone will be quite accurate with speed/distance.  But for areas with tight twisting turns, GPS will "cut the corners" since it is not really continuously recording and you end up with drastically reduced distance recorded, and therefore speed.  This is very noticeable with mtb where many trails double back on themselves with tight switchbacks.

The speed sensor should really be called a "distance sensor", as speed is a calculated value of distance divided by time.  The wheel speed sensor is using the wheel circumference to calculate distance and then speed when divided by time.

Also, if using a speed sensor, much more accurate to roll out the wheel and measure the circumference, then enter it manually.  It takes only a few more minutes of set up to get much higher accuracy.