This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 Plus's stuck on splash screen after the 2.90 update

Hi,

I updated my Edge 130+ to the latest FW 2.90, waited until the battery was fully charged, disconnected (used "eject").

Usually, it takes some time (seconds) for the device to realize it's not in "mass storage" mode. After that, it restarts.

But after the latest update, the unit did not restart. It stayed on the "mass storage" screen for more than 10 minutes. So I followed https://support.garmin.com/en-SG/?faq=VFyA9sBX9Z70ciuBTrgwq5

It didn't help and now it's stuck on the splash screen.

I tried to repeat the reset flow (holding the power button for 10s). No change.

Plugged it into the PC and Mac, but the device was not found.

My device is still under warranty but not sure if it can be applied here.

Thx a lot.

• Time to try a factory reset.  I forget the exact procedure, but there are some threads that explain how.  ?  Others?

• THX a lot! Found this https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-130/151063/hard-reset-by-hardware

Non-prompted non-vol clear – Power down. Hold up + down keys. Press power key. Release up key after first beep. Release down key after second beep

Edge SAVED Tada

• So I finally started my cycling season this week after a brutal winter.

The first time I turned on my Edge, it seemed to be stuck on the Garmin logo and triangle. Eventually, I started my ride with another device but left the Edge on with the Garmin splash screen showing. About 10 minutes into my ride, the Edge came to life, installed an update and rebooted. I then started an activity on it even though it was missing the first part of the ride.

The second time I went for a ride, the Edge was stuck on the splash screen for about 5 minutes again before it finally indicated it was ready. It used to boot up instantly. I'm thinking it's the GPS fix that's the culprit.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the start-up? I'd rather not reset the device. I synced using Express between the 2 rides

• Hm, no idea. Mine was basically dead and the reset has saved it. I'm just guessing, but you might clear some files from the Activities folder?

On the other hand, the setup after the reset was quick, all the sensors have been transferred, and user data as well.

• As  says, you might have too many rides stored.  The device will slow down and act funky with too many stored.  Attach to your computer and it will appear as just another drive, then delete rides from the Activities folder.  Deleting from the Edge does not delete them from Garmin Connect or anywhere else.

Continue to sync with Garmin Express between rides, that is a good practice.

• FYI,

My problem went away on its own.

What I did was turn on the 130 Plus indoors in order to sync. It took a while before the splash screen went away the first time. I did it a second time and it op0ened instantly. Then, yesterday, I turned it on outside and it opened instantly. I don't know what changed except maybe opening indoors reset the GPS co-ordinates but my issue went away.

• Great news!  I'd still recommend keeping an eye on the Activities folder.  In general there isn't any reason to keep most rides saved on the device.  The only reason I've found to keep is if you wanted to follow one for navigation later.  But if that's the case, likely better to just turn it into a course on Garmin Connect.

• Thanks, Now that you mention it, I remember reading that in another thread.