This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

not recording data

Just bought an edge 130 plus. It recorded my first ride...nothing subsequently. The manual sucks. Any idea how to get this POS working again?

• Have you pressed the start button? It would help if you state what steps you have taken to start your ride.

• I had the thing paired with my phone. Somehow it automatically disconnected after one ride. I went through the pairing exercise again. For the moment it is recording data...shows the ride I took yesterday. So, the question is: How did it inexplicably get unpaired from my phone? Doesn't bode well for the reliability of the 130 Plus. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Guess I should have been more explicit in my description of the problem. But if I have to re-pair the 130 Plus and the phone every time I take a ride, I'll just use the device to see distance, mileage, and time while I'm riding and live without the recording of data.

• The Garmin does not need to be paired unless you want to view your ride on Garmin Connect.

As for how it became unpaired, it may be your phone is the problem and not the Garmin. I've never had a Garmin unpair.

• With some trial and error, I got everything working--no thanks to the poor manual.

• My Edge 130 Plus is the second piece of "Garmbage" I've had that stopped syncing to the phone app. Anyone know how to get this POS working?

• You labelled the 130 as a POS on your first post here, yet you managed to get it to work (which seems to indicate that there was nothing wrong with it). You also seemed to be confused about what pairing with a phone really does... the "recording of data" has nothing to do with Bluetooth... the 130 will log your ride even if unpaired. You can still sync your rides (or "activities", as Garmin calls them) to Garmin Connect without Bluetooth by plugging the 130 into a PC, and running Garmin Express. Pairing to a phone gives you automatic sync, weather info, notifications and stuff like that, but it does not limit what the 130 can track (position, temperature, elevation, sensors).

The 130 is not perfect, but it's working well for a lot of people. Maybe you got a defective unit (in which case I would suggest you open a warranty claim), or maybe the issue lies with your phone, or it's user error.

And if you're asking for people to help, it might be useful to get some details about what works and what doesn't. 

• As you can tell, I was frustrated. For some inexplicable reason the 130 did not send data to the app for several days, after several rides. Then I took another ride, and it and all previously unrecorded rides showed up in the app. Is this kind of latency typical? Had never happened before. Any idea why the days-long delay?

• I would not say typical, but you can see from the other threads on this forum that Bluetooth sync is not the 130's strongest point.

I personally have no problems with it, it's a bit slow but usually the sync goes through, even after long rides. Here is my "procedure": turn on the 130, but do not start the ride (or navigation) yet; open the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone, wait until it connects to the 130 (green dot); put the phone in the backpack; start the ride/navigation. At the arrival: stop the ride and turn off the 130. If a sync is still in progress - and usually it is, if you try to turn it off right away - the 130 will prompt you to turn off Now or After the sync: select After and keep the phone at Bluetooth distance until it's done.

The only reason why I keep it connected to the app while riding is to see notifications (messages, whatsapp, calls) without taking the phone out of my backpack. The automatic sync is also nice, but not a big deal for me as I often connect the 130 to my Windows PC to design/import/load Courses for navigation.

If yours is completely misbehaving, submit a warranty claim with Garmin. As I said, the 130 is not perfect and definitely has its perks, but it's a tiny little unit that does its job quite well. 

• Thanks for the tips. 

• Try using the same procedure, making sure to keep your phone relatively close to the 130 when the sync is in progress. Let us know how it goes.