This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery drain

I noticed at earlu use my edge battery around 10 hours but now it is only 6 hour. is this because of the software update or because of other things? has any other  have similar experience

Top Replies

All Replies

• It likely suffers from the same fate as the regular 130 in cold weather.  Lots of threads in the regular 130 forum regarding poor battery life in the cold.  There are threads over there about opening the unit up and installing a larger battery, or you can attach an external lipstick battery as I chose to.  The lipstick battery is so large compared to the 130 I only need to charge it once throughout the entire winter.  Unlimited backlight use on high, and it still lasts all winter.

• Thanks. actually i am living in tropical countries so winter might not be an issue. or does excessive heat make this happened? however i am running it through rainy day and it still drain fast

• The lipstick battery is so large compared to the 130 I only need to charge it once throughout the entire winter.  Unlimited backlight use on high, and it still lasts all winter.

Can you share which one are you using or where you bought it?

Thanks. actually i am living in tropical countries so winter might not be an issue. or does excessive heat make this happened? however i am running it through rainy day and it still drain fast

Excessive heat may kill battery capacity just as overcharging or draining the battery to minimum. I wonder how long do you have your unit and do you charge it from 0-100% or use more gentle appraoch like 25-75% or something?

• I should qualify my "unlimited backlight use on high" before someone calls BS!  I don't leave my backlight on all the time, but I don't hesitate to use it if needed.  The lipstick battery is more than 10 times the capacity of the 130, so you get a sense of how much more battery you have available.  Here is my thread for the install, with pictures:https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-130/253899/external-battery-pack-for-edge-130-end-of-battery-angst

Ask any questions you have in that thread which will keep that subject all together.

• well, i once use it for audax200 (13 hours), other use like 10 hours to test first time the longevity of the battery and normally use 1-4 hours ride . i usually charge after low bat notification (less than 30%) and full charge 100%. the unit is still 6 month or so (3200-ish km). i am planning to claim the warranty

• Thanks , In fact I carry one around in my backpack so I can use it in emergency to power up my phone or something else, so far I had no issues with runtime with my Edge but possibly it worth to consider of attaching external battery for longer rides. Thanks for the idea!