This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GARMIN, is AUTO LAP by Distance going to be added as in good old units?

Auto Lap by distance is a feature that existed in the really old 300 EDGE.

You could give a defined distance when the unit would trigger a lap. Extremely useful to get Lap Power on short time period (1km) specially when racing. I "upgraded" to EDGE130 plus (prefer small units) AND this key feature is gone when it was my main field on my main screen.

Can GARMIN address this? Which SW release?

• There are no plans at this time to change the Auto Lap feature to a user defined distance.

• Not shooting the messenger... but .. if not in the user menus, is there a way I could patch the 5 (k or m) to be a different number? Why a fixed autolap to a value of 5? 

• I have to agree.  5k or 5 mi is pretty arbitrary.  I can't imagine why I'd want those values other than to brake up a ride into chunks.  Except it's so dependent type of riding and terrain.  It is completely different if you are on the MTB doing under 10mph vs on the road possibly doing over 20mph.  I actually find it odd that it's enabled by default given that it is so arbitrary.

That said, I disable AutoLap while biking anyway on all devices, as I don't find auto laps useful because of the varying terrain and speed on the MTB. 

On devices that let you configure it, I'm pretty sure it's just stored in the sport.fit file but not sure on the 130+ where it's a fixed value.  If it's there, it'd actually be interesting to change it and see if it has an impact, assuming you have a program that can edit .fit files.  It might just ignore the value in the file.

• I think the technical specification for this product is highly misleading until you actually have some time to spend with the product in hand.  I had to physically compare the manuals between the Garmin EDGE 130 Plus vs the EDGE 530 to find that the "AUTO LAP" which is checked off on the specs for both units actually has different sub features. 

The EDGE 130 plus manual under "marking laps" page says: "The device automatically marks a lap every 5 miles or 5 kilometers, depending on your system settings (System Settings)."  When you click on system settings it does not mention anything about lap distances.  

The product pages both Edge 530 and EDGE 130 Plus have "AUTO LAP®" check under  "Training, Planning and Analysis Features" even though the features between both products are not the same.  

I had an old Garmin edge 500 figured these features were std operating procedure for Garmin devices.  I like the unit but this is a disappointing finding.  This should be more clearly depicted between models or even better just a standard feature for garmin cycling devices.