This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bugs and suggestions

After a first few rides, I think the Edge 130 Plus is great! Here are a few areas for improvement:

• Bugs
    1. I use my E130+ on a road and mountain bike. On my road bike, I have a Varia RTL510 which I have paired to the E130+ as a light and radar. When going on a MTB ride (without the Varia), the radar icon in the upper right hand corner blinks the whole time as if it's looking for the Varia. I would think this is something that should time out after a few minutes of not finding one (or, even better, if it didn't even try when I select 'Mountain' as my ride type)
    2. I ride with a Fenix 6 along with the E130+ and use the F6 as my recording device because I use the wrist HR. So the E130+ is just a way to view data more easily during a ride. That said, ideally I would like to save rides on my E130+ to keep a running odometer and be able to ride activities later more easily. As such, I have unselected 'Auto Upload Activities' under GCM > Device > E130+ > General. But that setting never seems to be respected, as the activity shows up in GCM anyway. And then I have to delete the duplicate ride from both GCM and Strava.
    3. Related to the above, Recovery Advisor seems to be affected by both units logging rides. In one example, immediately after a ride my F6 showed a Recovery Time of 32 hours but then that decreased shortly thereafter to 16 hours (I think after the identical activity from E130+ uploaded). I would think if anything the Recovery Time would increase if GCM actually thought I did two different rides but I can't think of any other reason why my Recovery Time changed at that moment (and have never seen that happen prior to using the E130+)
    4. The E130+ altimeter generally registers ~10% less total ascent on my road and mountain bike rides compared to my F6. I don't know which one is more accurate but it's been consistent enough for me to report.
  • Suggestions
    • I understand there's probably processory/memory capacity implications to allowing different data screens for different ride types but at least allowing two different data screen activity profiles would be great and I imagine would cover the majority of riders. For me, the ability to have different data screens for Road and Mountain would be so helpful!
    • Please allow an 'off' option for backlight
    • Please allow an option to change the volume of audible alerts (very loud, which is appreciated, but could be a bit quieter)
  • Long-standing challenge that needs to be solved better: handling redundant data after riding with a Garmin watch and bike computer simultaneously (which I think likely applies to a lot of Garmin bike computer owners). Building on bugs #2 & 3 above, I think Garmin can do better in this relatively common use case. I can think of a few potential options:
    • When using both for an activity, GCM should be smart enough to only retain one activity (maybe user selected preference as to which device to prefer or consider 'master')
    • If I select F6 as my 'master' or 'recording' device, it would be nice for me to be able to start a Bike or MTB activity on my watch and then have it start automatically on my E130+
    • Extended Display has potential as a solution but right now it's limited given the fixed datafields at top (including lap time, which I generally don't find helpful while biking) and limited ability to customize datafields. If the datafields were fully customizable, I would prefer this solution because I would think it also uses a lot less battery (with its own internal GPS off, just showing data from my F6)