This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1050 Charging UX

I’ve had my edge 1050 nearly four months now. I’m disappointed with the charging UX. I have the charger on a timer so that it’s not always tying to charge the device. In addition to the games you have to play to start the unit charging (connect to power FIRST, wait for it to start up, THEN turn it off), when the timer on the charger shuts off, the device wakes up again, then (maybe) goes into sleep mode. This morning I went to go for a ride and found that the 1050 was totally drained!

This was after having to play the “hold the power button down for 30 seconds” game last week in order to get it to turn on at all!

I just had to send my Varia radar back for a recall/exchange program, it looks like the Edge will be next. Why can’t Garmin get their hardware right the first time??

• Thanks for reaching out for support.

When connected to a power source, the device powers on. The Edge 1050 will not power off on its own, and if the device is intentionally powered off while plugged in, it will power on again when it loses external power. This could result in your Edge being powered on, draining the battery while it is no longer charging ("charger on a timer").

If you're looking to start with a full battery, my recommendation is to leave the device plugged in to an active power source until ready for use. The charging logic in your Garmin device prevents it from being 'overcharged' and charging is automatically disabled once the battery is at full capacity.

For more info, please review:What Can I Use to Charge the Battery of My Garmin Device?

• Great, thanks for confirming the poor UX. Can you issue a software update to make it behave reasonably?  And fix the “hold power button for 30 seconds” issue?