Curious if routing on 1050 is as bad as in 1040

Garmin Edge 1040 has been bad for routing from the beginning, worse than my Edge 1000.  In one extreme example, routing from Saratoga, CA to Palo Alto, CA, typically a 17mile route, returned a 126 mile tour around the whole SF bay.  Please someone try, with different navigations settings (high traffic road avoidance and 'popularity routing' seem to affect it) to determine if it is something affecting only the 1040s or also the 1050. Thanks!

forums.garmin.com/.../routing-issue---126-miles-instead-of-19mi---high-traffic-roads-to-blame

• Not sure this is a bug.  If you ask for popularity routing, it's likely to take you on the most popular routes even if they are further.  If you want the shortest route, select that. That said, it's entirely possible that you have map errors (as opposed to routing algorithm bugs) that prevent short routes in your region. 

In the UK, I tend to turn off popularity routing as it often seems to take me on the busiest roads. It seems that not all cyclists here share my preference for country lanes. So it may also be that in asking for high traffic road avoidance AND popularity routing, you're asking for something contradictory, which may also explain your odd results. 

• This is one reproducible example, to allow Garmin to easily debug one case. The poor routing occurs often, in other situations. There is a Guilford CT to New Haven Union Station that instead if a 15mi near flat commute it wants to take you through the hills - no matter which combination of settings.

I also never really create a route on the unit, this is just a way to debug why, when you miss a turn or reach a closed bridge, the auto reroute wants to add miles and miles unnecessarily.

Notice that in this example, the 100+ mile route are created if either popularity routing is OFF or high traffic is ALLOWED.  That seems to indicate at least that they are somehiw reversed.  Popularity OFF should not add 100 miles to the route.  Neither ALLOWING extra roads.  Do you agree?

But my question was - does the 1050 suffer from the same malady?  The 1000 doesn't.