Adress search doesn't find locations in Edge 1050 - bug in 2024?

Hi, I'm having trouble searching for an address.

My language is set to English, but I live in Sweden. The streets here have specific symbols (ÅÄÖ), and when searching, I can't enter these symbols in the English language.

• After switching the language to Swedish, these symbols appear on the second page of the keyboard, but it still can't find the address for me.

Question: How can I search for the address?

Is there a way to keep the English language on the device and have a Swedish keyboard for these symbols?

I looked at some solutions on a forum, and they involve editing files in Garmin. Is this really the solution?

Can this be reported somewhere? It seems to me that the navigation should be able to search for addresses, and I'm really struggling with it :-/

• I´ve got the same issue here. I cant search for an address. On my old 1030+ address search worked fine, but on 1050 it seems non-existent.

• Phew, I'm not alone. I tried to reach Garmin support, but they are ignoring me :-/ 

• Sometimes when i search for an adress and the Garmin can't find it i choose the country again and then start the search again.

This worked for me.

• Hi AEDeven, what do you mean by "choose the country"? I have maps for the whole of Europe, and there is no country selection menu, or is there?

• When i want to navigatie to a adress i press at the startscreen on Navigate, category, searchfunction, adress, and on top of that screen is Search in "country".

And then i fill out the rest of the adress. 

• Try a slightly different spelling, i.e. with different letters. So "Langbrodalsvagen",
    The same problem exists in Germany. Instead of "Köln", it works with "Koln".                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The question, however, is why this long-standing problem has not yet been solved by Garmin.
  • Thanks for trying to help. I already tried that, but it didn't work.

I received a reply from Swedish Garmin Support :

Translation into English:

When I search for the same addresses as you on the Edge 1050 we have here at the office, I get the same result as you, meaning "no results found."

However, when I search for more general place or location names, such as "Hantverksgatan" (without a street number) or "Stadshuset," I do get results.

Try searching for more general place names, and you should get more results. If that doesn’t work, feel free to get back to us, and we'll help you solve this.

I agree with you. Why hasn't this been FIXED a long time ago? Face palm♂️ A navigation system that cannot search for an address? I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

• Have the same here in New Zealand, it doesn't find any addresses. Click on the map at the address and the nav will find a route there fine. Seems to be some sort of database or search error

• I just got a software update but still the same after

• Same for me! Pensive

After the update, no change. I called Garmin's Swedish support. He told me that it doesn't work for him either. He suggested trying to search just by street name. Also, special characters can apparently be typed by doubling normal characters.

I said it doesn’t make sense that if I travel to Finland/Norway or another country, I would have to change the language settings in Garmin just to have those characters show up on the keyboard.

He also said that know about this problem in Garmin and he cannot promise me fixing itFace palm

I'm so frustrated that it's not working.