Navigation color madness

To navigate with the Edge 1050 you only have to follow the purple line  .... if you are able to find and read it.

With only slight presbyopia (old eyes) the thin purple line is - depending on the background - halfway readable ==> should be thicker.

The purple navigation-line get's overwritten by the blue track-line ==> navigation very hard to see

If you have some turns ahead, you see only white arrows instead of purple, when having a gray background ==> super-hard to see

When you get off-course, a second line with a different shade of purple/pink shows the way back to the course ==> hard to distinguish

When you turn on the popularity-map you will see the popular tracks in different shades of purple ==> hard to distinguish

The virtual partner sometimes shows a second arrow (virtual partner cannot be turned off) ==> difficult to distinguish from the navigation arrow

This "navigation color madness" makes it very difficult for me to follow off-road-navigations, even when navigating with a roadbike I miss turns because of it.

Fortunately I only rented the device (with the option to buy it afterwards), I don't think I will keep it.

• The case is not so special - I have this on nearly every ride -  and it's only one example of my difficulties to follow the navigation. I didn't even mention the navigation-coloring when Climbpro is activated ...

You may or may not agree, but it's a 750€ GPS-unit and I expect a clearly visible navigation for this price-tag. 

I'm using the Edge quiet often, still missing turns, I don't think I get used to it. 

• A couple of weeks ago, I had a Karoo3 for testing. They use a yellow line. somehow, it is much easier to recognize and follow. Not sure why, I don't remember exactly...

• Compared to the Garmins I've had (1040, 1030, 1000 etc etc) the navigation track seems much better to me.

• I agree. Nevertheless I'd like to be able to change the color and the thickness - would be another huge improvement for me

• Yes @UliHe42 color und thickness should be adjustable AND should never change to blue or white or whatever. 

Yes @GFP, I had the 1040 before, the 1050's navigation-line is considerable better, but still hard to see for me when the color changes or lines with similar color apear.

• When the screen for a upcoming turn pops up, do you find that hard to see?

• No, but I don't find it very useful.

It only shows the general direction of the next turn, for the exact direction you have to take a look at the purple line  ... if you are able to find and read it. 

Sometimes the direction ist wrong: announcing a left turn when you have to turn right.

Same ist true for voice-navigation.

• You can try setting the map like this, so that the screen only has a few dark colors

• I did try to get used to the 1050 - to no avail  ... will give it back and I already bought a Hammerhead Karoo. I did use different Garmin devices in the last 20 years: several Etrex-models (when my eyes where better) GPSMap 62 and 66 (before I started Mountainbiking), Edge 1040 Solar (worst display ever), 1040 (display a little better) and 1050 (great display but with color-madness and navigation-problems).

To finish this post here some screenshots ...

WTF?

Trying to navigate to the Labalm in Tyrol/Austria: I ended up using my smartphone instead of the Edge 1050.

First the Edge coudn't find the Labalm, then "route-calcucating-error" trying to calculate a course to the Labalm.

I used the Locus Map app on my phone to calculate the course.

Actually I used my smartphone quite often to navigate during my vacation ...

... but what use is a 750€ navigation-unit when you have to use your phone?