Current Problems with the Edge 1050

(1) Corrupting FIT files, losing data.  Pretty much the only reason I've stayed on team Garmin for twenty years is that I never, ever lose data.

(2) The Edge 1050 doesn't detect that the unit is fully charged, and leaves the screen powered on FOREVER while charging.  I assume this is going to cause burn-in at some point.

(3) no way to write to the storage on MacOS.  So, I can't create a startup.txt or add routes.  I couldn't get MTP to work with a Windows 11 VMWare virtual machine on MacOS either.

(4) The firmware is fairly unstable.  I had it enter a crash loop the other day and needed to fully reset it.  The unit kept cycling between day and night mode and all of the sensors kept all disconnecting and reconnecting.

(5) Still no QWERTY keyboard even with the new high resolution screen.  How am I supposed to use navigation?  Nobody in the US learned to type on a ABCDEF keyboard.

(6) ConnectIQ store is busted.  Doesn't work at all.  Even on Wifi.  There's no way to search.  I had to install the TyreWiz data field app from my phone.

(7) Still no native TyreWiz support.  ConnectIQ is terrible.  It takes up to five minutes for the TyreWiz sensors to connect when I power the unit up.  If the TyreWiz sensors aren't awake when the 1050 powers on, the ConnectIQ data field still crashes.

(8) ClimbPro is busted on navigation.  I rerouted back to start last week and the climbs from the previous course were still showing up.

(9) The Varia RTL-515 errors out whenever cars approach (possibly due to vehicle lane assist).  Constant Error 0:9s and Error 0:FCs...

(10) Road hazards are inaccurate.  I get random "UNPAVED ROAD" warnings when that's not the case.  I also get "POTHOLE" warnings, when that's not the case.  The 1050 flags nearly 90% false-positives in San Francisco.

(11) Deleted all ConnectIQ fields from stored 1040 profiles.

(12) Did not add my radar as a sensor from my existing profile.

• Clarification for the battery draining: Issue was not during charging, rather I left the device on my bike in the sleep state for over a day and battery was significantly lower than expected. I hit the power button short press from homescreen. There is a fully off mode but that would have been if I press and hold power button, then tap red on-screen "Power Off" button. (Useful for in case rides don't upload, I restart both the Edge 1050 and the Connect App on phone)

I exclusively charge on wall powered chargers, USB-C PD or non-smart 5V USB-A to USB-C, never checking if cable is power-only. Love the PD charging. Got me some quick juice for the climb earlier

• I see.  I was going by the very first post in this thread where the unit doesn't know when it's fully charged and then shuts down.  I assume you don't have this problem?  Or perhaps you don't use the proper charging method, which is to first power down the unit completely, then plugging a power-only cable into the unit.  With this method the unit should do a half-wake and display the battery percent.  Once fully charged the unit turns off automatically.

• No, the 1050 doesn't do this when charging from power-off. When the power cable is plugged in, it completely boots up. And on my unit, it then beeps annoyingly every few seconds, wanting me to start an activity. I have to disable GPS for the duration of the charge session to stop the beeping.

• I see.  However my 1030 Plus behaves the same as what you describe with your 1050 if I use a micro USB data-capable cable.  Hence I asked if anyone has a usb C power-only, data-incapable cable to try it.  If it behaves the same (only half wakes) as the 1030 Plus with the power-only, data-incapable cable then the problem is the cable, not the unit.  Does this make sense?  Ideally the unit should be made smart to detect whether the unit is plugged into a brick or a PC, and only fully wakes if it's plugged into a PC.  But my 1030 Plus doesn't do this, so I don't necessarily expect the 1050 to do it, although it would be nice if it did.

• No, the 1050 doesn't do this when charging from power-off. When the power cable is plugged in, it completely boots up. And on my unit, it then beeps annoyingly every few seconds, wanting me to start an activity. I have to disable GPS for the duration of the charge session to stop the beeping

have you tried...powering it off again once it turns back on? Mine also boots up once connected to the charger. Then you just turn it off again and it stays off.

• If it stays off then it won't charge.  I think the only solution is to use a power-only, data-incapable cable.  But it's actually quite hard to find one.  But I did manage to find one on Amazon.