Current Problems with the Edge 1050

(1) Corrupting FIT files, losing data.  Pretty much the only reason I've stayed on team Garmin for twenty years is that I never, ever lose data.

(2) The Edge 1050 doesn't detect that the unit is fully charged, and leaves the screen powered on FOREVER while charging.  I assume this is going to cause burn-in at some point.

(3) no way to write to the storage on MacOS.  So, I can't create a startup.txt or add routes.  I couldn't get MTP to work with a Windows 11 VMWare virtual machine on MacOS either.

(4) The firmware is fairly unstable.  I had it enter a crash loop the other day and needed to fully reset it.  The unit kept cycling between day and night mode and all of the sensors kept all disconnecting and reconnecting.

(5) Still no QWERTY keyboard even with the new high resolution screen.  How am I supposed to use navigation?  Nobody in the US learned to type on a ABCDEF keyboard.

(6) ConnectIQ store is busted.  Doesn't work at all.  Even on Wifi.  There's no way to search.  I had to install the TyreWiz data field app from my phone.

(7) Still no native TyreWiz support.  ConnectIQ is terrible.  It takes up to five minutes for the TyreWiz sensors to connect when I power the unit up.  If the TyreWiz sensors aren't awake when the 1050 powers on, the ConnectIQ data field still crashes.

(8) ClimbPro is busted on navigation.  I rerouted back to start last week and the climbs from the previous course were still showing up.

(9) The Varia RTL-515 errors out whenever cars approach (possibly due to vehicle lane assist).  Constant Error 0:9s and Error 0:FCs...

(10) Road hazards are inaccurate.  I get random "UNPAVED ROAD" warnings when that's not the case.  I also get "POTHOLE" warnings, when that's not the case.  The 1050 flags nearly 90% false-positives in San Francisco.

(11) Deleted all ConnectIQ fields from stored 1040 profiles.

(12) Did not add my radar as a sensor from my existing profile.

• I can also add: screen doesn't cope well with rain. I was riding in the rain for several hours today, and the 1050 repeatedly kept switching the display to show the turn list. I kept having to press the on-screen back arrow to return to the map, and a minute or two later, the turn list would reappear. Once it stopped raining, the turn list stopped spontaneously appearing.

• Lower the screen sensitivity and you should no longer have this problem.

• Is there such a setting? From the home screen, if I select Menu / System / Display, there is no setting there for screen sensitivity.

• A indeed this function is no longer available.
    I had this in mind from my Edge 1000.
    otherwise you can lock the screen in rainy weather by pressing the button on the left side once. This will avoid actions on the screen but you will still have the page change available

• The problem with locking the screen is that you can't answer prompts on the screen that you want to get rid of, such as the turn indications that hang around for too long after a turn when navigating a quick succession of turns through a town or village. I find if I can't do that, then the second and subsequent quick turns are never indicated.

• Honestly I don't know...I'll look on mine but I don't think we can have any action on the display timeout

• Is anybody from GARMIN on this forum and can comment on when this stuff is going to get fixed?  Embarrassing for a $700 device.

• The power guide upload issue still isn’t resolved with todays FW10 release. 

• Question for the FW devs, is there a way we could install a debug version of the firmware to assist users in providing more info and logs in the event of an issue? I work in FW dev and love cycling, would happily contribute if there's a preferred channel to do so!

My recurring gripes from 1000+ mi of riding so far with the 1050:

1) Once Weekly, Varia RTL515 will reconnect/disconnect according to the 1050's on-screen notification and rapid-fire beeps. In an earlier version of the 1050 firmware, a month ago, the 1050 would crash/restart. Now it happens and device stays running.

2) Weekly or more, battery drain in between rides, drawing power during off state or hibernation? Device went down at least 10% in 36hrs of not being used. Got home Monday night between 30-40% and went to ride now was at 13%

Sorry didn't mean to make this a rant! Loyal and happy customer and want to help if I can. Waiting for my unit to charge so I can go climb a hill and get off my soapbox Slight smile

• May I get some clarifications on the charging issue, where the unit doesn't shut off automatically once it reaches 100%.  Currently I have the 1030 Plus and the charging behavior depends on the type of micro USB cable I use.  If my cable supports data, plugging the unit into a charger will fully wake up the unit.  If the cable is a 'charge-only' cable, it wakes up only to charge, and then shuts down automatically when it reaches 100%.  What I wish to know is if the issue on the 1050 only happens on a power AND data USB C cable.  I know that 99.9% of the USB C cables out there are both power and data, and it would be hard to test without a non-data cable.  But I just thought I bring this up in the even that someone does have a non-data cable to test.  Ideally the 1050 could have the intelligence to know what's on the other side of the cable (a charging brick vs. a PC).  But my 1040 Plus doesn't have this intelligence.  If I plug it into a brick using a data cable it fully wakes up the unit.  So is this really a bug or an issue of getting the correct cable?  If the 1050 always wake up fully no matter the cable type, this would drive me nuts and I probably wouldn't buy one.  Here's a non-data, charge only USB C cable that I found.  Apparently they are quite rare but they do exist.  With micro USB the charge-only cable is much much more common.  www.amazon.com/.../B09479KTC9