My route and efforts were not recorded today.

I'm doing something wrong, apparently.  I called up the saved route and clicked "Ride".  It asked if I wanted guidance to the start.  Even though it  was only 300 yards, I checked "yes".   Then, throughout the ride, it was showing my stats, giving guidance, etc.  It looked perfect!   I was positive that I'd operated it correctly. 

BUT, upon completion, it showed ZERO miles and no Analysis.  What did I do wrong?

• nothing. 

on the 1040 I've used the navigation to start many times and it always saved everything

• Then I totally don't understand why my ride wasn't recorded, even though it was giving me route guidance and analysis of my effort the entire way.   The ride was grueling and I really wanted to see the analysis. 

• IT DID IT AGAIN!  
    Today's ride was Guanella Pass with over 7,000 feet of climbing.  I did not navigate to start but instead called up the Ride on the Garmin and clicked "Ride".  It looked like it was recording, no problem.  When the ride was finished, it said that I needed 96 hours of recovery.  I saved the ride and expected to see it in Strava.  But no, only the first  half mile was recorded and t hen a bee-line back to the start.  The entire 48 miles of climbing and descending were GONE!    Looking at the Garmin now, only that one mile shows.  The rest of the 48 mile extreme effort is gone. 

Please, someone see if you can help me. 
    What is causing this.  I'm sure it must be something I'm doing, else everyone would be crying.  But what?

• Starting a route is not the same as starting the recording.   Silly I know.    You always have to hit the actual right button to start recirding