How to get open street maps to edge 1050 ?

Do I have to copy the maps (which endings?) only into the maps-directory on Garmin Edge 1050 ?

Is there anything more to know about ?

Kind regards Stefan

Top Replies

• I want to try to use this map on edge, but I don’t quite understand how to operate this part. Can you elaborate more?

As far I remember - you live in Japan…?

Assuming you have Basecamp…

All Replies

• If you have a map file with ending .img than just copy that map to /Garmin/maps.

• Hello McInner,

is the quality of obenMTBMaps in your opinion similar to the Garmin Topo Maps ?

I just want to change to obenMTBMaps; yesterday I made a tour with the Garmin Central Europe Map (not German topo) and I guess that there aren't all trails on it. I drive in Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany.

• I never used TOPO maps. So, I only can speak about Garmin Central Europe versus openMTBmaps (I‘m using „Alps“ - living in Austria).
    I prefer openMTBmaps. All trails are included - marked with different colors and pattern. Maybe it is the optimum in my region (eastern Alps - near Vienna), because the author of openMTBmaps lives in Vienna.

Simply try it! Download „Rheinland Pfalz“ map from openMTBmap.

https://openmtbmap.org/de/download/

Edge map download:
    https://openmtbmap.org/de/download/gmapsupp/

(Chose „non unicode“)

PS: I prefer to download the Windows version. You‘ll get an EXE file which installs the map on your PC - ready for use in BaseCamp.
    The download includes service programs to change different appearances ( typ files ). With Bascamp you can then export an IMG-file to a SD card in your desired appearance to copy it to your Edge.

• Yes, there is more to know!
    The 1050 now uses MTP as the USB data protocol. This means there is no longer a network drive letter, which various maps require, such as velomap.org or openmtbmap.org.
    As a workaround for this problem (v9.11), you have to use the “Android File Transfer” tool and then copy IMG maps, fit files, etc., as before.

• OpenMtbMap is paid, it's a shame.

I prefer UtagawaMap or OpenTopoMap which are free

• The 1050 now uses MTP as the USB data protocol. This means there is no longer a network drive letter, which various maps require

I got around this problem by copying the contents of the SD card from my old Garmin 1000 to a 32Gb thumb drive, with GarminDevice.xml in the /Garmin folder, and when I mount that on the PC, Basecamp thinks that's a Garmin device, and I can install maps from Basecamp to the thumb drive, and then copy the .img map files from the /Garmin folder on the thumb drive to the /Garmin/Maps folder on the 1050. I do this with the maps from velomap.org, but the process should be identical for maps from openmtbmap.org.

• @mcinner1

With your help it was easy to install the OpenMTBMap of germany to basecamp and on my Edge 1050.

I am curious what it looks like on the edge display. I will start my ride just in a few minutes.

Kind regards Stefan

• If you have questions, contact me via PM!

• The download includes service programs to change different appearances ( typ files ). With Bascamp you can then export an IMG-file to a SD card in your desired appearance to copy it to your Edge.

I want to try to use this map on edge, but I don’t quite understand how to operate this part. Can you elaborate more? Thanks in advance.

• I want to try to use this map on edge, but I don’t quite understand how to operate this part. Can you elaborate more?

As far I remember - you live in Japan…?

Assuming you have Basecamp on a WIN PC:
    goto website  https://openmtbmap.org/en/download/

Tap the link „Here“ in line „Win and Linux download“
    Tap „OpenMTBmap“ (right of „Instructions“)
    Tap „Standard - Local language maps“
    Tap Asia -> Japan

Download Japan Map. You‘ll get an EXE file to install on your PC. After installation you can chose the map in Basecamp.
    From Basecamp you can export a IMG map to a SD card and then rename it and copy to your Edge.

….or download the Edge ready IMG map. But then you cannot play with layouts (typ).