Wifi sync failed

More issues with new Edge 1050!

In addition to not pairing to my iPhone, it will not complete the "Sync to Wifi" function (whatever that is). 

It connects to my Wifi quickly and appears to be ready f or whatever it needs to do.  

There's a button, "Wi-Fi Sync"  I don't know what it does, but it fails.  It first says "Connecting", Transfer in Progress".   Then, "Sync failed".  

There should be no reason for this.  Our WiFi is working just fine for everything else.  Garmin support has not helped.  

So now I'm having three major problems that are keeping my new Garmin 1050 off the bicycle:

1.  It won't download routes from RideWithGPS.  

2.  It won't connect to my iPhone

3. It won't "sync: with my Wifi even though it says it's connected.  

I think they may all be related.  I'm not infallible, I'm probably missing something to doing something wrong.  But I'm very close to sending it back.  I've called for live support with Garmin but they've been closed each time I've tried.  

Ken

• Hi Ken, have you actually confirmed that it actually "fails". I have had the "Sync Fail" message on Wi-Fi syncs with my 1040 for the last year(?), certainly through at least a half dozen software versions BUT the odd thing is that nothing actually fails, all rides are uploaded to connect without any error, all new software versions download when available, all "send to device" courses are downloaded, all GPS satellite position files download....but it always says "sync Fail"

And even odder, the "sync Fail" ONLY occurs if the software I am using is a production release. If it is a Beta (and for dozens of beta versions in the last year) it always says "Sync Complete" and as soon as the beta is replaced by a "production" version it is back to "sync Fail" (but actually working!)

So it does not really matter for me but the worry is that it apparently indicates some issue in Garmin's system that they can't fix?

• Vous utilisez quelle version d’iOS et quel iPhone?

• I think you may be asking about my iPhone.  It's an iPhone 14 and it's up to date.  

• GARMIN LIVE PERSON ON THE PHONE HELP TO THE RESCUE!

Kurt at Garmin answered the phone almost immediately.  He spent about an hour, helping me with great patience as I navigated through the phone, my desktop, and the Garmin 1050. 

The result: 

I don't have the right USB cable!  With the right USB cable, everything will probably work.   

Garmin had recently stopped sending required USB to USBC cables with their units.  Instead, they ship a USBC to USBC charging and data cable.  My desktop doesn't have a USBC port.  I was using a USB to USBC cable which apparently doesn't have data capability. 

It takes either their proprietary USB to USBC data cable or possibly a 3rd party cable capable of transferring data.  My only USB to USBC cable is a power cable, only.  I suspected that, but no way to confirm without his help. 

So we experimented with some RidewithGPS work-arounds.  They're cumbersome, but I'm now able to manually move a RidewithGPS route to the Garmin 1050.  This will suffice while I'm waiting for the cable from Garmin. 

Waiting for the cable?  Yes.  Kurt arranged for a Garmin USB to USBC cable to be shipped to me free of charge.  It should be here in 2-3 days.  In the meantime, I can now use the Garmin 1050 to follow routes from RidewithGPS that I get into the device using the work-around that he gave me.      

So, I'm a happy rider.  I'll mount the new 1050 on the handlebars today and go out for a ride.  

PS

Kurt said that the "Sync Failed" when testing the WiFi connection from the Garmin  is probably because I had nothing to sync.  There were no courses or rides in my Edge 1050 or in My Garmin (because I didn't have the cable).    

Ken

• Kurt might be wrong? My cable is the right one that came in the box and I only sync when I have done a ride so is available to upload but I still get sync fail ( if using production release software)

• I am having the same issue all of a sudden. Not certain what it is, I have tried USBA to USBC after reading this thread as well as USBC to USBC

• Hey all! I have the same problem now, 5 days ago everything worked just fine, but now I always get the message ‚sync failed‘ after 30 sec of connection to my iPhone hotspot. 
    and no, there is some data that should be uploaded but it doesn’t. 

would be happy about support or firmware updates ! Best regards!

• I just now got off the phone with Garmin Technical Support.  They sure do have good people manning the support phones.  I received my callback (in lieu of waiting on hold) within 5 minutes.    The tech support guy is an avid cyclist and uses his Edge 1050 all the time.  He's the right guy to help me. 

So here's the scoop. 

He said that in his experience, Pinning to get a course into his Edge is somewhat hit or miss; being about 75% effective.   

So instead, he now always saves the GPX file from RidewithGPS onto his desktop and then puts his Edge into "Mass Storage Mode" and opens the USB-attached Edge in Windows File Manager.  Then, he simply copies the .gpx file for the ride from his desktop into the Edge 1050's folder.  To make sure I understood, he walked me through the process.  It took about 10 seconds and Voila'!  There it was in my Edge. 

He said that the fault of the pinning process isn't with the Edge Device or My Garmin or Garmin Express; but instead, that the RidewithGPS function is complex and depends on too many things not under Garmin control working just right. 
    But manually copying the file to the Edge has worked reliably.  

In the future, I I'm going to abandon the RidewithGPS Pinning or using the "Send to Garmin" button.  It certainly hasn't been reliable for me. 

Instead, I'll use this process to get a selected route into my Windows PC:

Go to the selected the route screen in RidewithGPS, click the 3 dots next to the orange "Send to Garmin" button and select "MORE Export Options".  Then select  GPX Track and Download GPX file.  It will put a copy of the .gpx file to a folder in my computer so I can manually drag and drop it into the Edge 1050. 
    Put the Edge 1050 into Mass Storage Mode (see below).  Then, on your computer, drag and drop the file into the Edge 1050.   

I don't know how I put it into Mass Storage Mode, it was just there when I needed it.  You can tell if the 1050 is in Mass Storage Mode if there are three icons on the black screen: a tiny computer icon, the word "GARMIN", and the battery charge state.  When that comes up, your computer should recognize it, it should show up in your PCs File Manager and My PC.    

Here's what I found about Mass Storage Mode:

To put a Garmin Edge cycling computer into mass storage mode, you can try these steps:

1. Disconnect the device from the computer
    2. Turn off the device
    3. Press and hold the LAP/RESET button
    4. Plug the device into the computer using a Garmin USB cable or data cable
    5. Wait for the computer to recognize the device, which may take up to 30 seconds

People on this forum have been very helpful to me for my various questions.  I hope this helps you and others.  

Ken

• I purchased recenrly 1050 bundle, first few days everything was good, but today I cant sync via wifi, I have the same issue. -.-

• Yes me too. I’m actually disappointed. The high price point of the unit just isn’t justified with all these bugs