Deleting unneeded Maps in my new Garmin 1050. Oops! Accidentally deleted North America

It deleted the North America map rather quickly, but I didn't see my error until the button was pushed.  No "cancel" available.  So it's gone.  
No problemo, I thought.  I'll just reload the Map.  
That was at 6:45 this morning.  It's now 4:30 PM.  It pauses and sits for long periods of time.  OR, the screen goes blank like it's turned OFF.  OR, it times out and turns OFF with the Map not finished.    
I restart the download every time it stops and we're finally up to 94%.  Estimated time to finish "2:37".  But if the Edge stops, times out, turns off, or whatever, it doesn't resume from the progress and time it achieved.  

I tried to use Garmin Express, but the app doesn't find the Edge 1050.   So I wait.  It might only  take another hour or two.  

What have I done wrong (besides accidentally deleting the North America MAP?  

• The Map Manager on the Edge itself is quite useless for large maps like North America and Europe. The files are large (several gigabytes) and download speeds on the Edge seem very slow. So Express is usually the faster way to install maps.

If your Edge is not recognized by the computer, check the USB cable you’re using or try connecting directly to the computer instead of via an USB hub. If you are on macOS you need to make sure that you don’t have other applications running that can access an MTP device, like Garmin Basecamp, Android File Transfer or any other such application. (MTP is the way a computer talks to the Edge 1050, and macOS has very limited support for MTP).

• Thank you, JungleJim, for your help.  
    I'm using Windows 10, not a MAC. so hopefully t hat will eliminate that possibility. 
    My desktop doesn't have USBC and the Garmin only came with a USBC to USBC patch cable which for me, can only be used from charging from a power block with USBC connection. 

I'm in my 4th day of trying to get this new 1050 to work.  Garmin is open for business now so I'm going to try to get a person to help me.   If I'm doing something wrong, they should be able to walk me through the steps.  

Ken

• The USB-C cable that comes in the box with the Edge 1050 is a charging and data cable, so it can be used to connect the Edge 1050 to a computer.

If you don't have an USB-C port you can use a USB-A to USB-C cable that supports USB 3.0 or higher. Other cables are usually charging only and don't support data. Or use a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

• Thank you again, JungleJim.  
    It's unfortunate that in the package of the dozens of items that came with the Edge 1050, a cable to be used to connect the device to most computers isn't included.  This was the source of all my issues.  And the Garmin tech support told me that. 

I wish I had known when I ordered the Edge 1050 and that it was absolutely required to have any joy at all with the computer.  I'd have ordered one

Garmin is sending a factory cable to me.  It should be here in 2-3 days.  In the meantime, Support stepped me through a work-around that will suffice while waiting.  

Ken