Strava Live Segments When Following a Course

I was having problems getting Strava Live Segments to show up on my Edge 1050 when following a course (but I’m assuming it's the same for all Edge devices). 

I have found something that works so thought I’d put up here in case it helps anyone in the future. The trick is to not star the course in Strava (so it’s sent to your Edge on next sync) when you first save the course from the route builder but star it from the "My Routes" screen after the initial save. My workflow is as follows:

• Create route in Strava route builder.
  • Save course in Strava but ensure the star in the top right of save box IS NOT SELECTED.
  • View segments of course and star any you are interested in being sent to the Edge device. It also seems to work if segment has previously been starred.
  • Now go to “My Routes” in Strava and star the course from here. For some reason this seems to send the course and associate the segments correctly in the course.
  • If you want to check it has been sent to Garmin connect correctly then view the Course within there and you should see purple flags on the course to indicate the start/end of the segment.

May not work for you but it seems to be pretty consistent for me.

• Thanks for highlighting this issue which has been going on for a long time without a permanent fix.  I contacted Strava two weeks ago about this and was told that their team is working with Garmin to sort out the issue.  But I also heard the same response reported by another user a year ago.  So who know if this will eventually get fixed.

I use a similar method to yours with the same outcome.  I always create a route with it being 'starred' by default.  Then I go back to 'My Routes', un-star the route, then re-star the route.  This will import the segments into the route.

To add another tip....to check whether the segments are embedded in the route, I open the Garmin Connect app on my phone.  I open the newly created route and if the segments are embedded you're see the start and end points of the segments represented with purple flags on the map.  You could also do the check on the Edge device but it's far easier and faster to check it on the Connect app.

Lastly, some segments will refuse to be embedded no matter what you do.  I think there's a safety check either on the Garmin or Strava side.  If a segment contains just a tiny bit of descent the entire segment is rejected and won't get embedded within a route.  I think the safety check algorithm is way too conservative.  I rode a long climbing segment today and the segment has just a few 'rollers'.  This segment refused to be embedded.  I hope this issue will get fixed as well.  Attached below is the elevation profile of this particular segment, and you could see the few 'rollers' in the first half of the segment.

• Strava will not include segments that they define as down hill. I think that is any segment with an average grade of -0.2 or less.

• I reported this segment to the Strava support agent and he said it matches all of the criteria for it to be visible.  He asked that I share the route with him and I did.  Here's the segment and route.  If any of you would like to see if you could get the segment embedded please do so.  I was never able to get it to work.  I had thought it was due to the safety check algorithm but it seems that there's something else going on.  Thanks.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12269229?filter=overall

www.strava.com/.../3251190306236099016

• Strava doesn't list this segment under your route, sth wrong on their side probably.

• Yeah.  But I know for a fact the segment list is not exhaustive.  And the list isn't a tool that can be used to check if the segment is embedded within a route.  So I never pay attention to that list.