What's your experience about Battery Life?

Hello,

For those who have used Edge 1050 for a few weeks, what's your experience and battery duration during your rides? Specifically for those riders using "Demanding" resources from the Edge such as: Power, Hearth Rate, Shift (sram rear derailleur or shimano Di2), Varia radar turned on, Navigation On (following a route), Multiband GPS, screen brightness auto adjust and Live Track enabled?

Theoretically it should last 20 hours, but not sure if that's accurate after having everything enabled? Does it last less than 20 hours? 

I am planning to do my longest ride of 2024 in December 360km/223mi & 4600m/15000ft elevation in a single activity. I did the same ride in December 2022 and it took me 16 hours (12hours movement), started 3am and rode all the day (very sunny day with high temperatures close to 44 C /110 F) and finished around 7pm in the same day. This year I plan to do it a bit faster, maybe finish in 14 or 15 hours, but despite that, battery life still a concern for me.

I use to do Gran Fondos (Endurance) rides of 5-7hours but that's not a problem for Edge 1050 battery. Actually I use Edge 1040, and just received my brand new Edge 1050 and was thinking about my December's longest ride and wanted to see what's the feedback of riders who have had this device for some time. This topic worries me a bit. If you think, based on your experience, that the Edge 1050 would last for at least 15 hours (demanding mode using all the aforementioned sensors and featureS), please let me know. Otherwise, I might return my Edge 1050 and keep my 1040 and wait while Garmin releases Edge 1050 Solar (but not sure if the price difference would worth for a single ride in Dec).

Thanks.

• I’ve had mine for just over a week but have not done any long rides yet. However I’ve done a couple of hour long rides, all with HR, speed sensor, dual-sided power, Varia radar camera, Di2 connected, screen on auto brightness, multi-band GPS. An hour seems to deplete the battery by around 4-5%, which matches the units own battery estimate on the pull-down widget of 23 hours. Enabling battery save mode increases this to over 60 hours.

I've got a long day out on the bike on Sunday, I’ll know more then, and extrapolating the estimated time may be more accurate. 

Obviously the battery is not a patch on my 1040 Solar, but I have a Garmin Charge Power Pack for big rides and I’m happy with the compromise for the better screen & UX. 

• I have had mine since June 27th.  100% charge and I have yet to charge it back up.  I have 2 50+ mile 2:30 to 3hr rides and multiple 1 to 1:30 min 20 to 25 miles rides. As of last night it still says estimated (30% ish) 8 hours left as per the unit. I am on pace for their estimated approximately 20ish hours. 

I am sensor and IQ apps heavy as well. Power meter pedals, HRM, front and rear lights, Varia radar, di2, wind field app, my bike traffic app, map dashboard, live track and incident detection/notification on. I have GPS set to auto, screen brightness set to auto, and I am running in dark mode. I did routing on one of the 50 mile rides and on one of my 1:30 rides.

• I'm using just about everything. Power, Varia Radar and headlight, heart, shift (di2), live track and navigation. I used 24% of the battery on a 70 mile, 4 hour ride yesterday. The first 15% went pretty quick, so maybe that was when it went max brightness. I can't imagine this thing will last 20 hours, like this, but it will get to 15 hours, I think. 

• I ride a TREK Domane SL7 Gen 4 with Di2. I also have 4iii Non Drive side power meter, Varia RCL715 radar, Varia light, HRM, Garmin speed sensor, iPhone 14 Pro Max connected to the 1050 and getting all navigation prompts on my AirPod Pro 2. Last week did 208 miles in 4 rides for a total of 14.4 hours and still got 35% battery. I have my 1050 brightness set to Auto. 

• I got my 1050 on June 29, and I've done 12 rides, for a total of 21h 35m.  I charged the battery to 100% after the first two rides, so I've ridden 18h 35m since charging fully.  The battery shows 57% power remaining, and under Battery Saver, shows another 13 hours remaining.  Based on my usage, which is just recording my rides and using Auto Brightness, it's obvious we can get very acceptable battery life.  I have Garmin Rally Keo dual sided power pedals, a heart rate monitor, and Campagnolo EPS electronic shifting sensors. I connect my iPhone, too.  I plan to charge the battery from my Garmin External Power Pack when it gets down to around 15%.

I plan to do some navigation rides in the next few days.

• so far I’ve  done a 35 miler and a 86 mile rides .. all sensors ie power etc navigation on and I have 48% left .. 6 hrs rode 

• I rode until the battery was down to 21%, and I'd done17 rides for 31 hours.  The last two rides I had my Garmin External Battery Pack on the bike, and I've done nearly four hours riding.  The battery has charged back up to 84%.

I think the backlight is set too high by default, for someone who rides in daylight only.  I tried changing the backlight setting  from Auto, and it then showed a 50% level.  I lowered this to 30% and then turned Auto back on, but I can't see that this made any difference.  Does anyone know how to change the backlight level to a less aggressive amount, thus extending battery life?

• Yeah.  I want to know about this as well.  For example, what happens when you have the backlight on 'auto' and battery save enabled?  Does that bring the backlight down, etc.

• You should enable automatic backlight first, then move the edge1050 to a sunny place, and then move the backlight control bar

• Everything above 70% brightness seems to be really battery heavy. I wish there was an option to limit the range or the max. brightness with backlight set to auto. So far setting the brightness to 67% (says 70% so i guess only 10% steps are possible) and disable auto the battery life on a sunny day was better then setting backlight to auto on a about 4 hour ride.The screen is still perfectly visible in bright sunlight and even better in forest. In the night, maybe to bright, didnt test that.