Question about screen quality of Edge 1050

I've read and looked at the reviews from DCR and GPLama, I've read all the other available articles: the new display is praised above all else.
But I would be interested to see how the display performs in direct sunlight. When I look at my iPhone 15 with the brightest setting in direct sunlight, it's hard to read. So I wonder if it's really possible that the display of the Edge 1050 works so well in direct sunlight?
Can anyone make a reliable statement?

• Wow.  Impressive!  Thanks for sharing!

• The overhead direct (+/- a few %) sunlight is brutal on the 1050.  The screen itself is fabulous, but adding that bright sun is a huge factor.  I've adjusted the mount arm to accommodate (or try), but as others have mentioned in this thread when you change directions, the sun glare comes back and makes the display extremely difficult to see.  The 1040 is far superior with sun reflection; I hope Garmin addresses this issue.

• Reading all this makes me hesitate even more to get a 1040 instead of a 1050 (comming from 1030 Plus)

• I have now done several mountain bike tours with the 1050, and although I have described many shortcomings in previous posts, I now have a positive overall impression. However, it is important for me to have a shadow on the display of my head and upper body, which is easy to achieve with the Garmin mountain bike mount. With the auto brightness setting, the display is easy to read in any environment and takes me about 6% juice points per hour. (The sun glare reflections on the round side edges cannot be prevented, however).
    All in all, I now find the display easier to read in different light situations than the 1030/1040 display.

• I'm using a fix mount so I am unable to change the position :-( all in all, thank you for your feedback!

• Thanks.  I have the 1030 Plus and it's great when there's no shadow over the screen.  But as soon as a shadow is cast over the screen the readability is poor.  This is where the 1050 excels at.

• I moved from a Hammerhead to the 1050. I run the 1050 at 70% brightness, just finished a ride that I started at 10 o'clock today and finished at 4 o'clock. I never had an issue with seeing the screen in direct sun light. With my hammerhead it was almost useless between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock at 100%. 

1. Here is a little extra 3 hours yesterday (no charging over night) and 6 hours today. Running a route both days. Powermerter, sram shifting, garmin radar, speed sensor,  heart rate screen at 70% and still have 68% left on the battery.
  • I moved from a Hammerhead to the 1050. I run the 1050 at 70% brightness, just finished a ride that I started at 10 o'clock today and finished at 4 o'clock. I never had an issue with seeing the screen in direct sun light. With my hammerhead it was almost useless between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock at 100%. 

1. Here is a little extra 3 hours yesterday (no charging over night) and 6 hours today. Running a route both days. Powermerter, sram shifting, garmin radar, speed sensor,  heart rate screen at 70% and still have 68% left on the battery
  • When I'm sitting at home or very early in the ride the screen is fabulous, with direct sunlight, it is like having a brick attached to your handlebar.

• yes correct and I have tried multiple screen protectors, matt, anti glare and what not, it gets slightly better but still not possible to use in sunlight. Pretty useless unless you mount in a quite steep angle which does not correspond to a areo oprimised installation,