Question about screen quality of Edge 1050

I've read and looked at the reviews from DCR and GPLama, I've read all the other available articles: the new display is praised above all else.
But I would be interested to see how the display performs in direct sunlight. When I look at my iPhone 15 with the brightest setting in direct sunlight, it's hard to read. So I wonder if it's really possible that the display of the Edge 1050 works so well in direct sunlight?
Can anyone make a reliable statement?

• I am riding with the last week and when the sun is basically directly vertical to the screen its impossible to read, its so much glare. Im considering returning it. The only reason to select this from the 1040 is the screen, and when you can't use it on direct sunlight it's pretty crap. Poor Garmin design!

• I am riding with the last week and when the sun is basically directly vertical to the screen its impossible to read, its so much glare. Im considering returning it. The only reason to select this from the 1040 is the screen, and when you can't use it on direct sunlight it's pretty crap. Poor Garmin design!

• I think one has to differentiate between the reflection of sunlight on the glass and the readability of the display due to bright ambient light.
    If the sun is reflected in the glass, this is a problem that can be counteracted by adjusting the tilt angle. If the display cannot be read because the ambient light is too bright, then this is a real problem. (I experience this with my iPhone 15: even with the brightest setting, I can hardly read it in the sunshine).
    Unfortunately, there's no sun here at the moment. So I can't test it.

• I find it different to read in strong Sun, mostly due to glare but still it's not perfect even angled correctly. Yes sure you can change the angle so its readable, until you change direction to the sun and the glare comes back... I have ordered some screen protectors to test if it helps, but really why do they need this super glossy glass, having a slightly less glossy screen would still be strong but maybe work outdoor other than cloudy conditions. Living in UAE we do have some sun..
  • After testing screen protectors, please let me know which one works best for you. I am currently testing Flexible Protectice Film - Full 3D Flexi by glaser. It's terrible, not only is it shiny and fingerprints remain and you can't see anything anymore.

• Just came back from a 1 hour test ride to check primary the screen and display.

At the beginning, the sky was bright but covered with clouds. No direct reflection of the sun possible. But I immediately knew what you were talking about. The wonderful colors and bright display you experience in your living room are gone. With a horizontally tilted device, all you see is the reflection of the sky on the screen. I use the Garmin mountain bike mount, which tilts easily. I had to turn it towards me so that my head and shoulders cast a shadow. Then the display is easy to read. But if you have a fixed mount - you‘re badly off.

Click here to play this video

Screen backlight on the pictures and video is set to its maximum!

In general, the 1050 is the opposite of 1040: 1040 is almost perfect against bright sun, but is terrible in the shade of the woods. 1050 is not really terrible against the sun, but obviously not as good, but it's excellent in the shade. It's absolutely what you have to expect from a not reflective LCD display.

And another side note: the rounded glass edges of the Edge 1050 look really good, but: when the sun is on one of the sides, the rounded glass edge covers almost all angles of the sun's position, and that gives a really strong and bright direct sun reflection - a very bright blinding spot on the glass edge. Maybe I will cover this area with black tape.

Again - all this are my own personal impressions. Other user can see it differently…

…and - btw - the battery consumption for 1 hour and 25 minutes with full brightness was 13 %-points.

Edit: it seems, the video is not to play… Will try to replace it with a link.
    Edit 2: tap and hold - and then chose „open in new tab“

• Perhaps the use of a silicone cover will eliminate sun reflections on the rounded sides of the screen.

• Thanks for the report.  I'm also using DIY #1-6 and I assume you are as well.  The editor currently doesn't have support for the 1050.  I assume you're using the 1040 option and it apparently works?  What does the correct model number give you?  I know the 1050 has a higher resolution screen and I assumed that without the correct model selected DIY #1-6 wouldn't work, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it does.

• No, this is one of my own IQ datafields on store. But, yes, I used to use the marvelous DIY, but started to develope CIQ datafields a year ago.

apps.garmin.com/.../apps