Protect your Edge

*Update - Garmin really went above & beyond to help me with a crash replacement option.  They really didn't have to do that, so I appreciate the support they've provided over the years.  It keeps me coming back

---------

Just a friendly reminder / PSA - USE PROTECTION!  (or don't be clumsy like me).

The silicon covers are a great idea.  I've always had one on my 1000, 1030, 1040.  

I had my 1050 for just one day and completely destroyed it as I didn't have a sleeve on it yet.  I sat it on my car in the garage while moving some things, and it slid off.   By some ill-fated chance, It landed perfectly flat, glass side down on my concrete floor and shattered the entire screen.  There is no image at all when powering up, just beeps.  There is no explaining the sick feeling of despair I felt, not having even had it on the bike yet.  This is not a knock on the device at all - I've had the exact same thing happen to a brand new Android phone at the height of my pockets, falling perfectly flat, glass side down on a floor.  Since using silicon covers, no more broken phones.  The laws of physics just hate me.  

It is my fault, but Garmin Support was great to provide options to help ease the sting, kudos to them.  With the 1050 being back-ordered it will likely be some time before I can try paying for a crash replacement but luckily my 1040 hasn't been sold yet.  Depending on availability I may just opt for damage protection through my credit card.  The device is over the benefits  limit, but It would be about on par with a replacement.

I had intended to buy a silicon cover.  The 1040 cover DOES fit it quite well (not perfect), but I didn't have it on, as I was going to just order the proper cover.  Had it been on, it may have been saved.  

I have also always used glass screen protectors, however I was told on the phone with Garmin that this will void the warranty (I didn't realize this).  I thought I'd share this info as well. 

Try not to make an expensive mistake on day 1 like I did!  Image shared as I don't want to cry alone.