Who already has the E1050 and what are the impressions?

Users of the new E1050, share your impressions - is the new Edge a big qualitative leap compared to the previous E1040 model and is it worth investing a few hundred on new hardware after changes to the firmware (23/09Beta) and adding a few functionalities?

• the mapping in every way is miles better than my 1030. this is my main reason for getting the 1050. add contours and its even better. The search function is much better but not perfect. i think the menus could be better

• I looked at all the reviews of the 1050 and spent a couple of weeks trying to justify upgrading my Edge 1040 Solar to the new 1050. I decided my justification was “because I want one” and I picked one up yesterday. I am so glad that I did! The set up is very easy, with the profiles and sensors copying over from the 1040 automatically. I did have to recreate the light network with my Varia headlight and Varia Radar rear light, but that was easy. And I had to add a sensor to connect my Turbo Levo SL to the 1050.

The screen brightness, the colours and the clarity are probably reason enough to buy this unit. Add to that the much faster processor, the speaker that allows spoken turn-by-turn directions and other notifications, and yes, for some reason the built-in bell seems like a really useful feature. The bell is louder than the tone alerts but the volume of the alerts is sufficient to hear in all but the noisiest situations.

I am really happy with my purchase!

• And I had to add a sensor to connect my Turbo Levo SL to the 1050.

…instead of sensor connection you may try my IQ ebike datafield. Looks and works cool on Edge 1050 and Spesh Levos!
    https://apps.garmin.com/apps/365c91c9-4b97-44ec-8832-69738356c4a2

Wink

• I watched a review of recent firmware updates for XX40 computers from GPLama today, and his tests show that Garmin fixed the lag and inaccuracy issues with the XX40 series climb tracking. Hopefully you are experiencing that first hand. I am looking to upgrade my 1030 original and at retail prices, the 1050 is clear winner, but there are lots of 1040s at half price and I'm leaning towards a 1040 if I can get it for $350USD vs. $700USD for the 1050. like you and others pointed out, the1050 is not substantially better, I personally don't have issues with my 1030 screen, the bell and better graphics appeal to me but I wouldn't pay $350 extra for these extras. 

• You're not just paying for those two extra features, you're also paying for a longer support life..  I was a bit disappointed that I've only had the 1040 for 18 months, and we now have a model supersede mine.  Too many times in years gone by, Garmin stop updates on models when newer models have replaced them..

• Luckily, Garmin has said they are treating the 1040 as an equal to the 1050, and probably will do the same for 550 and 850 models when they come out.  They have already ported most new features of the 1050 to the 1040, only skipping thing like the bell that depends on the speaker that was added to the 1050.