Who already has the E1050 and what are the impressions?

Users of the new E1050, share your impressions - is the new Edge a big qualitative leap compared to the previous E1040 model and is it worth investing a few hundred on new hardware after changes to the firmware (23/09Beta) and adding a few functionalities?

• Better because it's faster. Wish you could scroll the map without having to select the scroll function. Seems like they could make it so a long touch on the screen would switch it to scroll, and then, when you're done, switch back to standard mode.

• I got my Edge 1050 at Noon on Saturday.  I went for an afternoon ride with the 1040 on the out-front mount, and the 1050 in my back pocket.  I heard a lot of beeps from the 1050, but of course I couldn't tell what they meant.  I think some were for start / stop, but others were heard while I was moving.  I'll put the new unit on the mount today.

Apparently, I cannot move my profiles, sensors, etc. onto the 1050 from the 1040.  I opened Garmin Express and synced my 1040, then added the 1050 to Express.  It seems to have moved my personal info (age, height, weight) to the 1050, but no sensors and no profiles.

All of my bikes have the Garmin out-front mount, with the insert for the battery pack.  This uses a locking arm, so there is no need to rotate the unit to lock it in.  So the 1050 fits just fine for my situation.

I'll know more in a couple of hours.

• On today's ride, I learned a lot about the beeps I heard yesterday.  It's true there is a beep when you stop and start riding.  The other ones seem to be drinking reminders.  They are three quick double beeps.  I had set a reminder for drinking, using the "Smart" setting.  On my Edge 1040, this seems to be related to temperature and distance, so I tend to see a reminder around 4.5 to 7 km apart.  On the Edge 1050, I finally figured out I was getting a reminder every six minutes, so by the time I'd ridden 90 minutes, I'd been reminded 15 times - does that seem "smart"?

Another thing I noticed was that the default screen 1 had changed, likely due to the unit being in my pocket on Saturday. Three of the seven fields were different!

I also noticed that the 1050 had my fitness age (I have a Garmin watch) and a couple of other items that the 1040 knew about.  But I had to add the sensors (heart rate, power, and electronic shifting) that I need for the bike I rode today.  And the power pedals, speed sensors, Varia radar, and light networks for my other bikes will also have to be added.

• You must have missed a step somewhere. My 1050 transferred all my sensor info from my 1040 no issues. No lie I set the 1050 up in the car at stop lights on my way home from my LBS in the car lol. I seriously got home, changed into my kit, and off I went on my ride. Everything connected without issues.

• I guess I did miss something.  Did you get your profile(s), too?  I'm still missing my Road profile, and not looking forward to inputting it manually.

• Yes all my profiles where there. The only thing missing where data fields that were IQ apps (they defaulted to "Timer" date fields). The IQ app is still very bare at the moment due to being so new. A few of my IQ apps have pushed 1050 updates but still waiting on a few.

I would say go back and try to run setup again? It ran me through a setup and eventually it had me scan a QR code with my phone. That QR code linked everything.

Note I use Android if that makes a difference. And I had to update my IQ app before it noticed a 1050 as a product.

• The sensor & profile transfer is not available via Garmin Express, you'll need to use the Garmin Connect app. It worked perfectly for me other than the RCT715 and UT800, which I had to re-pair manually.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=yRbcdNVKFr0ZSFnykeb526

• I'd seriously suggest doing a full reset of your 1050 and starting again - my experience is the same as others - everything transferred across from my 1040 painlessly, apart from my Varia lights/radar/camera, which for some reasons I always seem to have to pair again manually whenever I upgrade.

Edit: Actually, before you do that, have a look in the device settings on Garmin Connect Mobile. Mine has an option to transfer sensors and activities from another device.

• Lights need to be done manually as the lights store the ID of the controlling units on them so you need to go through the pairing process.

• Just got my 1050 delivered and it is working perfectly fine. I did the setup process and all my sensors and profiles were transferred from my 1040 to the 1050. It took less than 2 mins to complete the setup. Now going to pair my Varia lights and RCT715 radar.