Edge Remote will not stay connected *Edit - issue is fixed*

*EDIT* - It appears my new home just has all kinds of wireless interference.  Not only with the Edge remote, but all kinds of audio equipment on wireless transmitters won't work without intermittent dropouts.  I'll chalk it up to either having a powerful 2.4ghz router, or the massive power transformer in the yard just outside my room.

I took my 1050 and Remote on a ride away from the house, instead of on the trainer, and I had no issues with it working.  I was able to use the remote for the bell feature.   

Please disregard this post. 

• I have an EDGE remote paired with my EDGE 1040 and I have NEVER experienced disconnecting issues, like never. Looks your EDGE remote is the bad one and not the EDGE bike computer. 

• That's interesting that it's never happened to you.  The fact that you have no issues makes me wonder if there was just a period of time where faulty remotes were made.  I may need to try a new one.   

I've tried swapping it out a couple years ago after the issue started (after moving from the 1000 to the 1030).   It made no difference.  At one time so many people were reporting this behavior on the 1030 / 1040  that there was a firmware update to help with it.  It lessened the issue to a certain degree, but it came back worse after an update at some point.  There seem to be a few threads in the past 6 months with people having issues again.   I'll see if there is anywhere with a good return policy that sells remotes and give it a shot. 

• So I came across this old thread in the Edge 830 forum when the issue was running rampant. 

Edge Remote is dropping out, Bluetooth problem maybe?

I noticed someone tried deleting their Bluetooth connection from their mobile phone and re-connecting.  That seems to have fixed it (for now?)  But that's so strange because I had even disabled my phone's Bluetooth earlier and still had issues.

Now I recall doing this years ago but I think it only fixed it temporarily.  We shall see....

*EDIT* - it didn't last.  10 minutes later, the issue is back.

• I have my EDGE remote connected via ANT+

• I've used the Remote with my Edge 530 for years, rock solid.  Very, very rare that I get the "red" light.  If I do, a repeat push of the button works.  The Remote is a primary reason I don't consider another brand of head unit, very useful for MTB to not have to take a hand off of the grips to change screens.

• So I will rather buy SRAM blips than edge remote. Those should work flawlessly.

• I bought my Edge Remote in July of 2018, it has migrated from a 1000 -> 830 and has never disconnected that I'm aware of. Connected via Ant+.

• I should have added that the Remote and my other sensors (HRM and Speed Sensor) are all connected via ANT+ and I've no drop problems with any of them.  Based on what I've seen mentioned on the forum it's better to stick with ANT+ rather than BT whenever possible.

• So these issues were widespread starting in 2017-2018 after the 1030 came out.  At some point, a firmware update DID fix this.  I just got frustrated after a year and stored the remote away.  I just tested with my Edge 1040 and the remote works perfectly.  So it seems there is an issue with the remote control not staying connected to the 1050, similar to what happened on previous generations upon release.  

• Now I recall doing this years ago but I think it only fixed it temporarily.  We shall see....

*EDIT* - it didn't last.  10 minutes later, the issue is back.

If I Garmin rep were here the first advice you would get would be to get rid of any ciq datafield. If you use none then the usual resetting.