Edge 1040 erratic GPS behavior

I have the Edge 1040 Solar. I cycle a simple 5 mile loop using a course made from a previous ride. For the first two turns, the 1040 tells me the distance to the turn and that I will be turning left. We are off to good start. This is how a GPS should work.

For the third turn it tells me the name of the upcoming street. It counts down the distance until it is 0 miles. But it leaves it up to me to make a left or right. I know where to go, but if I didn't it wouldn't help. It never tells me to turn left or right or go straight.

I make a right and the distance to next waypoint stays at 0. It seems to be stuck at the start of this street.

Then, just as I get to the end of the street it starts counting down distance, then switches to a time countdown to the next waypoint and tells me to make a left which is correct. Why does it suddenly switch from distance to go to time to go? And just at this turn? Other turns it usually shows distance to waypoint and counts down. (But some points it does switch to a time countdown).

Now I make a left and ride to a roundabout. I need to go around the roundabout 3/4 of the way and exit to the left. But the 1040 tells me to go all the way around and exit right where I entered! It is eliminating the entire part of my course to the left of the roundabout. Finally, I go to the left anyway, and ride about a mile. Eventually the 1040 gives up and correctly finds the next waypoint and counts down distance. I think this one it also switches to a time countdown as I get close.

At the end of that road, at the waypoint,  I make a U turn and head back home. But the 1040 does not look for the next waypoint on the way home. Instead it shows me the distance to the end of the road waypoint is increasing and wants me to turn around. If I did I'd never get home!! I'd have to live at the end of the road.

Luckily I know where I'm going. If I ever went someplace new, I'd have to bring along another GPS to help guide me. This Edge 1040 is completely erratic. I don't understand it.

It is using open street map and the names of the streets are displayed and it looks like it knows what it is doing, but for about half the waypoints it seems to get totally baffled.