24.19 - Home update and Ant+ connectivity issues

Hello, 

I have the following issues.

1. I have plenty of workouts saved on my edge1040 solar. They are added to my calendar. After the workout is done, the data is not always added automatically to Garmin connect. Most of the time I need to manually sync (via Bluetooth, WiFi just does not work). Also the home of the 1040 rarely gets refreshed with the last workout done and the calendar updated etc. I need to hard switch off/on to get that.

2. During the workout, I have random turbotrainer disconnections. I used to have a Tacx flow and I thought the disconnections were because of the Tacx. Then I upgraded to a wahoo kickr and I'm still getting those. I guess the problem is with the 1040. I read somewhere that by connecting via Bluetooth there's no problem so I guess the issue lies with the Ant+.

I believe that for a device as expensive as this, such behaviour is totally unacceptable. Does anyone have any working solution/workaround?

Kind regards.

Federico 

• Let us know how it goes so others can try if successful , pending Garmin actually fixing this, (it has been this way for years and various devices, on the x30, x40 and now also reported on 1050 so Garmin has a bit of work to do.

• Jeez. Thanks for the switch off and on tip. I didn't even try and was facing the same issue on my Edge 1040 with my Garmin Cycling Coach workout of the day being the one from the previous day on the main page, but the correct one if I clicked on it.

Shutting down completely my device and turning it on again fixed that.

• No problem mate, glad it helped. It is important the switch off is the "big one" by keeping pressed the power button until the screen goes blank. 

Again I find this totally unacceptable for a product like this.and for a company like Garmin. I really don't get why a "simple" page refresh is not possible to achieve.

• Ok so I disabled WiFi and BT on the Garmin, disabled BT on the Fenix Watch disabled WiFi and BT on the phone.

You can clearly see all the nice disconnections at the beginning until minute 30ish that's when I connected the assioma duo.

I have the WiFi Routeer very close though but again this cannot be an excuse, it's really ridiculous.

Garmin please fix it

• Bad news then, better start work on that Faraday Cage, fine metal mesh about 1cm should be ok as the wave length of 2.4GHz waves is about 12cm, 2 layers better and don’t forget to earth them. If you look at the x30, x40 & 1050 forums you will find hundreds if not thousands of sensor disconnect posts over the last 10 years, perhaps Garmin can’t ever fix it? There is some environmental factor as some users get lots of disconnects and others none, some users report the disconnects start with a specific new software version and goes with a subsequent one, others never see it at all with the same versions. Mine existed for my 530 and continued with the 1040 but went during the 20.x betas, lots in the early betas, reduced in mid cycle betas and gone in the last betas and so far not returned.help instructions for another training app and it included the advice...

PS: It is a common problem with other apps / platforms too, I was looking at help info for another cycling training app...

"Solving ANT+ or Bluetooth Connection Dropouts
    ....A few other notes: If you have gone through the above steps and are still having issues, turn off any other devices nearby that may be causing wireless interference (Bluetooth audio, wireless doorbells, Garmin head units, etc)....."

• Thanks to the wifi tips for the Edge 1040. I will try tomorrow. I've never had any issues in two years with my Tacx Neo 2T on Zwift and TrainerRoad but I recently started to trainer indoor only on my Edge 1040 and faced a disconnect after 1h40+ into my workout where resistance was broken and didn't work even after disabling/enabling my trainer sensor. I ended up stopping my workout be cause it was unusable. Even shifting gears wasn't working at all.

• Switch your phone to "LTE only" mode. Automatic changing phone network mode makes the sensors been disconnected.

• Last time the phone was in airplane mode, didn't work. Still I feel this not the right approach. Garmin should provide the fix