Auto route plotting is near useless.

Although fortunately there are some minor options to alter the auto route plotting parameters, for the most part, the gps bicycle routing on the 1040 is really terrible.    As someone who has bicycle toured for close to 55 years, I have some pointers that should be considered for developing an alternate algorithm that is safer as well as better for many bike tourists:

(1) The most important factor in safety on a roadway is not traffic level, - it is the presence of a paved shoulder.   Frankly, it is actually safer on busier roads for the simple reason that if there is an accident, there are more people likely to stop and render aid.   Remote small roads with no shoulders are downright DANGEROUS.   As a long-time tourist I avoid them like the plague unless there is a compelling reason like some grand scenic interest, or it makes the route shorter.   The low traffic rate, although superficially appealing, is a real danger because small roads rarely have a shoulder, are in greater disrepair, and traffic rarely slows down.   The lack of traffic means some drivers are lulled into driving around like Mario Andretti half asleep, setting up bicycle riders for the greatest road dangers they could possibly experience and in a remote place where any accident would never be observed, and help might be many hours away.    It is sheer irresponsibility for the current routing algorithm to be designed the way it is.

(2) As currently set up, the 1040 always picks some ridiculous circuitous route over a direct route, often completely bypassing more direct roads that have not only have wide shoulders, but often official bike lanes.    The 1040 must always have outdated information, as I did update the map before discovering the map was completely ignoring perfectly good roads that had both official bike lanes as well as wide shoulders.   That being said, I like it when the algorithm does have access to bike lane info as long as it can SHORTEN the route between points.

(3) I wouldn't mind the gps recommending some scenic overlook or scenic route as a POSSIBLE waypoint, but it needs to ask.

(4) Waypoint plotting is really clunky, there needs to be a faster way to line up waypoints and then have the algorithm try and route between them.  Currently that would be the fastest workaround to the terrible routing system.

(5) There needs to be more emphasis on shortening distance between points.  As it is, I have to turn on the "motorcycle" option to get the best route, then laboriously add waypoints at some key areas where there is an equally short, parallel option that maintains a shorter distance.

• IDK about the current routing on the Edge units because I gave up using and relying on it long ago and lay out routes on other services then download them to my Edge.  There are a few other threads on the topic expressing some of the same issues you do.  One thing that comes into play is whether "Popularity Routing" is enabled, which can create some wack routes.   FWIW: Garmin has a website to submit suggestions.  I'm not sure anyone actually looks at them, but here's the URL:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

• Slightly off topic, Re-route is really useful for me. I started playing with a new 1040 while riding a course. I decided to change it a bit on the fly on roads I know well. As I strayed off the route I was given the option to re-route. The 1040 quickly offered to route me to the next cross road that would put me back on course. When I deliberately passed on by it automatically routed to the next available connection that made sense. It continued in that way until I rejoined the course several miles and options later. I was surprised at how well it worked. 

• The most important factor in safety on a roadway is not traffic level, - it is the presence of a paved shoulder.

The map data doesn't have that information.

(4) Waypoint plotting is really clunky, there needs to be a faster way to line up waypoints and then have the algorithm try and route between them. 

Given the small screen size, the slowness of the computer, and the UI, you'd be much better off using a phone. (There are ways to create routes on smartphones that don't require internet access.)

• I was surprised at how well it worked. 

One reason it worked well is because it was calculating short and nearby routes.

That's a different use case than creating much longer routes (like the OP appears to be talking about).

• Words matter. I prefaced my comment with, "slightly off topic."