Switched from K2 to Edge 1040, several questions

I was fed up with the battery of the K2, so I decided to buy the Edge 1040 while it was on sale. I'm mostly happy with the switch, but I have a few questions.

1) When I used the K2 with just GPS, I noticed my speed changed a lot when I went through areas with many trees. This was expected and was resolved by using a speed sensor. Now that I have the Edge 1040, I see a similar issue, even though it has multi-band GPS, which I thought would work better. What's more, even with a speed sensor on my front wheel hub, my speed still jumps up and down in tree-covered areas. Does anyone know what could be going on? I didn't think the speed would be affected by trees at all when using a speed sensor.

2) I really like the "back to start" option on the Edge 1040 (the K2 had it too). It lets you return along your route or take the "most direct" path. However, I'm not quite clear on what "direct" means since it could refer to the shortest or fastest way. From what I've seen, it's often neither and sometimes adds extra detours on the way back. Is there a way to set the 1040 to choose either the shortest or fastest route?

Thanks!

Top Replies

All Replies

• 1) are you sure the speed sensor is connected properly to your Edge? Also Multi-GNSS will not magically resolve any GPS signal reception difficulties, it will just make the chance of receiving signals better. And there could very well be a difference in how the K2 handles the speed sensor data as compared to the Edge, for example smoothing.

2) "direct" means it will use the Edge's routing capabilities to determine a route from your current location to the start of your activity. So the routing options configured in your activity profile determine what route is actually calculated. Especially the Popularity Routing and Avoid High Traffic Roads settings may lead to unexpected detours.

• Thank you! I'll check those settings. I've also looked at the connection, and it seems to be working fine. When I turn it off (disable it temporarily), the speed behaviour doesn't really change. The sensor's battery looks good according to the Edge. I'm using a Lezyne BLE sensor (not ANT+). I have the circumference set to auto. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Does your speed sensor also support ANT+? If so you could try connecting it to the Edge with that instead of BLE. ANT+ is (usually) more reliable for sensor connections.

• I've also looked at the connection, and it seems to be working fine.

It‘s easy to check: when you think the speedsensor is connected to your Edge, stand still with your bike, lift the wheel with the speedsensor and turn it by hand. Look at the speed display on your Edge: does it increase?

• nope, it only supports BLE unfortunately

• yup, this works. I have speed by just rotating the wheel while standing still. Is there perhaps some sort or priority in sensors to set? It seems that due to "bad" gps signal, the auto wheel circumference is changed temporarily to match the speed from the sensor with gps speed.

• If i remember well you can set the tire size to auto or manual, in the speed sensor settings. You could try setting it to manual.