Problem maps

This picture shows what I see on my Edge 1040 Solar. No local roads, only the motorways. This is only recently, before I had a detailed map on my screen. 

I tried through Garmin Express to renew the maps, nothing to see. After deleting the *.img files, nothing to see. 

After placing an old img file in directory ‘ new files’, unplug and rstart, nothings happens and the img remains in the new files directory.

What to do to get the details back? What to do to be able to manage the maps in Garmin Express?

• Are you sure you are listing the correct files? ClimbPro files are .db files that are found in the Garmin\SQL\internal folder. These are different than the .img files containing map data, found in the Garmin folder.

Also it makes sense that you don't get maps for your current location because you apparently don't have Europe maps installed. It looks like you only have climbpro data, trailforks and the basemap.

I would just delete all .img files except gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img and check whether Express can install new maps. Also delete the .gma files, EXCEPT the one of which the name consists only of numbers.

Make sure you are on the latest version of Garmin Express (7.22.1.0 as of this moment). Also make sure that there no .img files in the Garmin\NewFiles directory as these files do not belong there.

If you are on macOS don't forget to clear the Trash before ejecting your Edge.

• Yes, these are the *.img files in /Garmin. I would expect an img file covering europe, but javawe indicates that there is none. And that is strange as I’ve been cycling with this Edge for almost 2 years, and untill recently no map problems.

• But did you do what I suggested? Clearly something has gone wrong and the files on your Edge are not what they should be. Better start from scratch and reinstall the maps that you need.

• I did as you suggested. Nothing happened. 

I did not find the gmapbmap.img on my edge

• The EU map is missing in the list you gave, it's called D6017110A.

If you connect to Express and go to the map manager, you should see no maps installed at all. All checkboxes before each map should be empty.

So just enable the checkbox for the EU West map and it should install it.

If that all somehow doesn't work - backup your Garmin folder first, delete all .gma and .img files in the Garmin rootfolder (except gmapbmap.img). Then connect with Express and install the EU map.

If you can't get it working you can also contact Support, but the only instruction you'll get from them is that you have to send your 1040 to them to get it replaced with a refurbished one.

• One thing I noticed here is that for me, all the maps are enabled, but at the bottom I have 'Garmin ClimbPro EU West 2024.10', that one does not have an on/off switch at all.. do you have the same?

• As you can see in the first post, the screenshot of my garmin express, there is nothing to select, check or uncheck.

I indeed contacted support and you are right, they want me to sent the edge to them to get a refurbished one back

• Ah meanwhile I forgot about your Express issue. I just googled -

• Solution 1: Try A Different USB Cable.
    • Solution 2: Check the USB Ports.
    • Solution 3: Force Quit Garmin Express and Restart the Computer to Try Again.
    • Solution 4: Ensure That Garmin Express Is Up to Date.
    • Solution 5: Uninstall and Reinstall Garmin Express.

If you can't get Express working after this, you could also try installing the EU map from the Map Manager option on the 1040 itself (main menu, system, map manager).

Fact is that the EU map is simply not on your device and you need to get it back through either Express or Map Manager.

• Yes, did all. Also on a other PC. I also did soft reset, hard reset, delete all, put it back, etc. All you suggested I’ve done. 

The funny thing is that the maps of Australie, NA, SA are in the /Garmin directory. Javawe also finds these. But no Europe map. 

As mentioned, Garmin Express only mentions the presence of a trailforks map. 

Perhaps another firmware on my Edge may solve the issue. Don’t know. 

For today’s cycling I installed the Openfietsmap. 

• Today I signed in for beta testing, inspired by another thread in this forum. After the beta version installed, I am able to see maps through Garmin Express. An (de)select different maps. I have not done this yet, as I will go cycling right now. 

The 21.18 firmware version is a faulty one, causing al this misery.