1040 Didn't Save my ride! Anyone have an idea why?

I did a 38 mile ride. I followed a route I downloaded from Strava. The 1040 followed the course, prompting me as turns came up. I made a few wrong turns and let the 1040 recalculate and at one stretch I took a detour for a few miles and let the 1040 wait until I got back on course a few miles later. When I got home I finished the route, as best I can tell I hit the right buttons to save the ride. I did notice I never got the prompt for how much water I drank. When I went to check my activity the 1040 stays on the activity page where my last ride should display but the 1040 has the spinning circle just spinning, like it knows something happened but can display it. The ride does not show in my activities. Fortunately, I record with Strava at the same time and Strava saved the ride.

I then saw I had an update on the 1040 so I updated it. When I went back to the activity page it is still stuck with the spinning circle trying to display my last ride.

One thing that occasionally happens when on a route is the 1040 shows the route but with a 'frame' around the map. I don't understand why the frame. It seems when the map is 'framed', rides don't record, even though it is following my route.

I stopped the course a couple times to restart the course, first because I started out in the wrong direction and had to ride back to the route. When I started the ride, I selected to not ride to the start, I assume this just starts recording from wherever you are on the route. But I could not get the route map to display without the frame, so I rode. I know I need to ride more to learn the 1040 but I get lost so many times getting my around the displayed screens.

Every so often a Large Green Triangle pointing to the right with a vertical bar to the left will appear. I think it is a warning but not always clear why it appears. I can tap it to make it go away.

• Support helped me understand what I did wrong.

My timer was set to 'start when prompted'. I thought hitting the Green Triangle with the bar would start the ride. It did allow me to continue but to start 'recording' I needed to hit the start/stop button#4. And I believe the reason the map stayed 'framed' was because I had not started the 'recording' by hitting the start/stop button.

Live and learn, I still had Strava running as a backup and got my data!