My garmin edge 1040 has been trying to do a software update for the past 6 hours. Surely it can’t take that long. The edge keeps turning off because it’s taking so long

My garmin edge 1040 has been trying to do a software update for the past 6 hours. Surely it can’t take that long. The edge keeps turning off because it’s taking so long.

any help in what to do. It’s got appx 2/3 through but it’s taken hours.

cant be bothered with this, if this is how long it takes.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I'd suggest powering off your Edge, then connecting your Edge to Garmin Express, and let it send any updates needed to your device.  I don't think there could ever legitimately be an update that could take that long!

• I would also try switching auto-sleep off until after the update is done.

• Same doing small maps update, Oceania = 1.8GB and whole bunch of hours also made worse by wanting to hibernate every few minutes - so have to keep tapping it.  If there was an autosleep to turn off I missed it when looking.  Then when it wakes up takes interminable amount of time to work out what it was doing previously

Edit - it eventually failed = then used Garmin Express and it worked in minutes

• If there was an autosleep to turn off I missed it when looking

For future reference the "Auto Sleep" On/Off switch is the last item in each Profile's settings, ie it is a Profile based setting so has to be set for each profile, scroll right to the bottom of each Profile Settings screen. In my 15 years of Garmin penance I have always found it to be bad news and better switched OFF always.

• Mine just had an update to version 24.10 and this update took only a few minutes. Then there was an update to Cycle Map Europe that was 6GB. This update took approximately 7.5 Hours to complete where the device was constantly on.

The funny thing is that this map is not visible in Garmin connect. Here I have to select each of the 3 mapsections to get the same coverage. And if I remove the 3 sections it says that there is no map for navigation.

This was all done with direct wifi connection.