Garmin Edge 1040 - Next COURSE point stats

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a question that has been asked already, I found a few similar ones but they're from 4-5years ago, and things might have evolved since then.

I just bought a Edge 1040, I intend to use it next week on a very long and mountainous course.

I create the course using Ride With GPS, I import the route on my garmin by pinning the route and letting RWGPS sending it straight to Garmin/device.

I remove all the cues in RWGPS and create custom cues which are vital for me to understand the distance and, more critically, the ascent left to the next village/mountain hut/water source.

I intend to use the "Asc. to Next Course Point" field while riding to read the ascent remaining to the next course point i created.

ISSUE

As I use the Edge for navigation and turn by turn instructions (which I like), I can see that rhe unit is displaying the ascent to the next waypoint (e.g. next turn) rather than to the points I've created.

Is there a solution to this?

The only one I found is to switch turn by turn navigation off....which is not optimal.

I'm aware I can use a screen on my activity to visualise a list of course points created by me and the time remaining, but I can't see distance/ascent info on it.

• I noticed this too, it doesn't use Course Points for the "Ascent to Next Course Point" data as did the older Garmins like 1030/830/1000, etc. I was just posting a bug about something else, but have a side by side screenshot showing the difference between 830 and 1040 that captures this difference. I'll put it here because I am curious about this change too. Here both devices are referencing the same data field "Asc to Next Course Pt." though 1040 has a different label on the display

The 830 on left is using a course (no coursepoints) so it displays the ascent to the finish the same as the ascent remaining.

The 1040 on the right shows the ascent to the next waypoint.

• This is incredibly annoying!!!!

How can one report this but?

Who cares about the ascent to the next turn Disappointed

• I wish I knew a good way to report bugs, having used Garmin Edge since I first got the 305 in 2006, I've never found a good way of reporting. I still miss a field that used to be on the 305 and 705 but disappeared since the Edge 500 and never came back which was called "Vert to Course Pt" which showed either positive or negative number depending on if next course point was above or below. Very useful when I wanted to know how much descending was ahead as well as climbing based on the course points I added.

• When TBT nav is being used, the Edge will be internally generating its own course points to provide turn instructions etc, independently of whatever course points are in the RWGPS file. So, as you have discovered, TBT would need to be turned off to exclusively use the RWGPS course points.

• I was under the impression that Garmin did that using "waypoints" for tbt while "course points" would be something different and customised by the user?

I admit I haven't looked into the differences between the two but I expected the Edge to be able to differentiate between them.

The same way it can provide a screen with my own course points and ETA, I expected it to be able to provide distance and ascent remaining 

• I expected it to be able to provide distance and ascent remaining 

Distance yes but not ascent. The Course Point list has the course poin name, distance and type symbol for he next few actual course points, not tbt generated turns and the data field Course Point Distance is a compound field showing the distance to the next course point from your current position and that course point type symbol. Other fields either show distance to next tbt or some mix the two. The Turn List shows same info for tbt generated turns

• Thanks L. This still seems like something that could easily be fixed/improved.

Why would a field named "asc to next course point" provide the asc to the next tbt point?

Are people aware of a way around this?

• This still seems like something that could easily be fixed/improved.

Indeed but Garmin has other interests they think will generate more sales (and maybe they are right)  and so keep things like course points for those of us that prefer them but they don't invest any resources in improving or fixing. It is odd naming but many of the "navigation" data fields are also muddled, some course point only, some TBT point only and some an off mixture, I don't think many garmin developers or managers actually understand the differences.