This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it possible to remove Beta software from Edge 1040?

I subscribed to the current Beta programme for Edge 1040, which gives the functionality of the new 1050 and the device has become almost unworkable. It's freezing on the map screen when following a route, not showing vehicles approaching from the connected Varia radar (but is counting the vehicles as they pass and so I know the 1040 sees them), regularly saying I am off route when I'm not, Climb pro starting a climb a good 100 metres after the climb started. Etc.... 

I hadn't realised the Beta software would be so buggy it would make using the device almost unusable.

I've withdrawn from the Beta programmme, but the website says it will now leave me on the current Beta version and will only update when the final version is released to public.

I'd like to go back to a previous firmware that works better. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

• Update: Spoke to Garmin support. 

They inform you can't uninstall the Beta software, and as the device is constantly freezing up when following a route, and its under warranty they offered to replace it. So taking that option. 

• If you are happy to get a “replacement” then that hopefully solves it but Support are wrong.

if you place a previous production update version file (GUPDATE.GCD ) in the Garmin directory on your 1040  and restart it will give you a “do you want to downgrade” message and if you confirm it will replace the beta. There is some loss of settings, profiles, phone & wi-fi config and CIQ fields / apps, most are recoverable from a GCM restore. Wise beta “testers” always keep a range of previous versions to downgrade if needed otherwise various posts in these and the beta forums offer previous versions.

But in your case it might be best to just accept their generous offer. There is though a new beta ?? 24.03 but nothing in the announcements and no change log, I might wait before installing

• Thank you man that was what i was looking for!

• L.Rouge - Thanks for this. I did what you mentioned - found a previous version, copied it in and re-booted. Garmin connect restored most of the sensors. Just tried it and the device no longer freezes on the map screen and it now warns of vehicles from the Varia radar. Will need to plan a longer ride to see if Cimb Pro now behaving. This took 10 minutes. Much quicker than sending back the device.

Thank you again for the info. My 1040 is in 100% perfect condition. Just the software that was the problem. This has resolved it with a fraction of the hassle.

i shall stay off the Beta program from now on. The odd bug is fine. But this made the device unusable. 

• So, were did you get the file to downgrade the firmware? Interested as I'm having the same issues.