"Hiding" the Virtual Partner

Seems the "How can I disable the Virtual Partner" topic is second only to "How to fix sensor dropouts" in these forums and has the same success rate (ie 0%) But the good news on the VP is that while only Garmin can disable it we can at least hide it via additions to the MapTheme used. If you are not familiar with modifying the MapTheme you can find some backgroung here, https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/290989/how-to-make-course-line-easier-to-see but if I get time I will write up a summery of the other long forum topic.

You will need some understanding of XML and a good XML editor, but even I picked up enough basic knowledge to make it work. Basically the XML sets the color of all the VP sub-elements to Transparent. I have been using this for a week and not had any issues. The source of the idea and the initial VP_VHCL definition come from a few different posts on various Garmin Watch forums. Their definition did not work as it was missing some sub-elements so I modified it to include all the sub-elements in the "VEHICLE" definition in the standard Mountain Bike MapTheme and it worked.

The first screenshot shows the riders position symbol (called the VEHICLE in the mapthemes) followed by the Virtual Partner (called the VP_VHCL) I have changed the VEHICLE color in an attempt to make it stand out more but would really (really) like it to be as big as the VP symbol. (How about it Garmin, Please)

The second screenshot is using a further customised MapTheme including the XML code below, result no VP ! Note that it is only hidden on the map, it still appears on the Elevation Profile screen and you still get a message when it gets to the finish (before you) But most people seem more concerned with not seeing it on the Map.

The third screenshot is a few other modifications to the maptheme I have been playing with, some work so not? The MapThemes on some watches and on Garmin Car & Motorbike GPS devices have a few other features that would be very useful if implemented on Edge devices.

The XML code inserted into the selected MapTheme that does this

<!-- -->
        <!-- virtual partner - Transparent -->
        <!-- -->
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_CLR">
            <color>
                <primary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ff8c00"/>
                <secondary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ff8c00"/>
            </color>
        </style>
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_BRDR_CLR">
            <color>
                <primary day="#00000000" night="#00ffff00"/>
                <secondary day="#00000000" night="#00ffff00"/>
            </color>
        </style>
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_LEFT_CLR">
            <color>
                <primary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ffff00"/>
                <secondary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ffff00"/>
            </color>
        </style>
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_RGHT_CLR">
            <color>
            </color>
        </style>
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_BACK_CLR">
            <color>
            </color>
        </style>
        <style field="MPM_VP_VHCL_HGLT_CLR">
            <color>
                <primary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ff2903"/>
                <secondary day="#00ff2903" night="#00ff2903"/>
            </color>
        </style>

• Thank you very much for the solution. I have tried your code, and it works. Unfortunately, the borders are still white. I have now spent five hours trying to find the error. Even in the thread you linked, I couldn’t find a solution. What am I doing wrong?

Edge 1030 Fw 13.75

• Unfortunately seems x30 software works slightly differently to x40. I tried same on my old 530 and the VP boarder shows white like yours. I suspect the "MPM_VP_VHCL_BRDR_CLR" element is not supported on x30s or some watches as well but works on x40s

• This is very cool as I and many many others would like to lose the VP and make the position symbol more visible.  The thing is, it'd be a steep learning curve and an investment in time and effort for something I'd have no other use for.   It'd be great if someone could put together some kind of  tool, little app, or maybe an IQ app that would do this.  Even just a detailed step-by-step with links to the necessary tools/info could do it.

Since getting my first Edge in 2010, I'm pretty sure I've spent significantly more time screwing around with them, trying to figure them out, get them to work, updating firmware, reverting to old firmware, hard resetting them, working around bugs, and getting defective ones replaced.than I have spent actually riding.

• @l.Rouge: thank you for the fast answer 

: you are so right!