1040 freezes/crashes when I try to load any course. SW version 20.19

Hi, as mentioned in the title. 
When I try to load any course, after ~2 seconds 1040 freezes with a Loading Course message and frozen spinner. 
I thought that was caused by broken maps so I've reloaded them all. It did not help. Does not matter if the course is long or short. 

please help, I need my navigation 

• Mine became very sluggish after 20.19, and also seemed to be draining the battery. There seem to be a lot of different issues after installing this particular update, and I think a factory reset (or two, in my case....) is the best way to avoid problems. My 1040 is now working as well as it ever has. 

• On my previous Edge units I had to save a number of files off the device before doing a reset so that I could restore my settings afterward.  With the 1040 I see settings in the Connect app on my phone.  Can I restore my settings after a reset using what's in the phone app?

• Yes-ish. It (should - see below!) restore the activity profiles and their data screens. It should also restore all sensors that have been paired. It will not restore a lot of device settings, wifi connections, phone pairings, etc. 

The above usually works fairly well; the data screens are the most irritating element to have to restore manually. However, when carrying out a factory reset after 20.19, it created a restore point which was evidently corrupted, and the data screens it attempted to recreate were a mess. The only other restore point was from when I updated from my old Edge 1000 to my 1040, nearly a year ago, and because of the differences in the capabilities of the two devices I'd changed things a LOT. I therefore had to start from scratch. 

As far as the sensors are concerned, the whole thing is very Garmin-esque. You'd expect it to do something vaguely predictable - either all the sensors paired in recent history, or (most logically) those paired at the time of the last restore point. In my case, at least, it never does. It never restores the RTL515, but does remember pretty much every HRM I have ever owned (about five?), some of which haven't been near the device for years. It remembers some devices by their original names (so suddenly I have to scratch my head as to which power meter is which). The backup of sensors sort of helps. Sort of....