Fw 20.19 Crashes + high battery consumption

Garmin, you did it again! Rage

All was absolutely fine with fw 19.22 , a new fw comes in, I update to fw 20.19 and all of a sudden I get crashes in the middle of the ride with the device resetting itself and a very high battery consumption, 60% in 3h, where it used to be 20-25% in 3h

I reset the device to factory settings and reconfigured.... no help, still same issues.

Please, stop deploying poorly tested software, you can do much better than this

• Yes, I feel your pain. 

I think some reported "issues with updates" are coincidental (someone has problems soon after an update, and assumes it's the update, when it's not), some are actual software issues, and some relate to issues with the installation of the update, rather than the update itself. I wonder if this is an example of the latter. 

I have only used my 1040 for five rides since updating - about 250km in total. I think battery drain was higher than normal during those rides, possibly doubling for some of the time. I also found that syncs were taking a lot longer than usual, and it just felt as though the device was struggling. 

I therefore did a factory reset yesterday. Nearly every step of the reset was problematic - the phone wouldn't connect, it wouldn't connect to my network, it corrupted one of my activity profiles...it was a mess. It was SUCH a mess that I actually did a second reset. This worked much more smoothly. (The only problem I then had was that...wait for it...Connect now has restore points of a year ago, when I first replaced my Edge 1000 with the 1040 - I don't want to use that, because the 1000 screen options are far more limited - and, of course the corrupted one from a few minutes earlier. Do none of their devs actually think this stuff through?)

Anyway, after manually recreating my now lost profile (I had a locally-saved backup, but it was still too old to be of much help) it SEEMS to now be struggling less. I'll try it for real tomorrow, and will report back. Incidentally, I've been using Garmin devices for over 15 years, so I'm not surprised - they've always been the same. 

• As a beta tester, I had already reported both problems at an early stage of the current version - at that time Garmin advised me that I should activate the so-called self-healing powers of the device by carrying out hard resets.

At first I resisted this because some settings - and always others - cannot be automatically restored using existing backups. I was then told that they couldn't help if I wasn't willing to restore the factory settings.

Well - now I do that and live with the fact that you can't trust the device and can't rely on everything working as you expect.

Regarding the crashes, I noticed that some tracks that I had planned with Komoot caused the device to crash every 5 minutes as soon as they were saved on the device. But no one has really been interested in that yet.
    So maybe you can delete all the routes on your device - maybe then it will work stably. It doesn't help if you want to navigate because every route can potentially cause crashes, but unfortunately that's how it is at the moment. Maybe Garmin will take a look at it at some point.

• I did my first ride post-double reset this morning: 2 hours / 62km, following a route created and uploaded in / from Connect. No problems at all (apart from missing the fields I'd forgotten to reinstate...). Battery consumption was 5% for two hours, which is fairly normal. 

I didn't experience crashes at any time after installing 20.19 - just the higher battery drain and sluggishness - but I only use routes generated by Connect as a rule. 

• Creating Komoot routes and synchronizing them with all kinds of Garmin devices is nothing exotic and is a feature that has been officially included in the manual for a long time https://support.garmin.com/de-DE/?faq=nGc5MPW5gy8pGm60EhyaX7

I've been using it very intensively on other devices for over 5 years - I can't say whether it's actually the cause of crashes on the Edge 1040, but it's noticeable.

• I rolled back to 19.22 yesterday, went out today for a 5h ride..... all good, 10% battery drain only (normal) and no crashes no navigation issues....

So stay on 19.22 and stay away from 20.19,,,,,wait for something better and properly tested 

-1 to Garmin!

• How did you rollback exactly?

• just download the 19.22 GUPDATE.GCD file that is published in this thread : https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1040-series/360977/edge-1040-gupdate-gcd-file-19-22

then copy it on your garmin folder and start the device, it will use the new firmware file to downgrade

• Same here, 20.19 is absolute ***!

My 1040 always crashes, even during the ride, resets, freezes...Do you have a quality assurance??? Tests??? Please fix that.