This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

1040 over 1040 Solar

I have used Garmin Edge units for many years without ever any issues or regrets. The new Hammerhead Karoo2 made me think but after reading comments and other issues, I decided to remain in the Garmin camp and go from my 1030 base to the 1040 base due to some of the new features I really like. I looked close at the solar version but after much research, I could not justify getting some slight gains in battery life to the price over the 1040 base. Plus I read the screen on the solar suffers a bit due to the solar screen.

My only thing I need to do is get use to the new layout and fields added.

• I have the solar version and would advise against it. 

it’s not bad in the slightest, just the marginal gains you get with solar aren’t worth it. 

• The price difference between the regular and solar versions is uneconomic to the profit you can make. For 10% of the price difference between the two, you will buy yourself a powerbank with which you can charge it 10 times more in a 20-minute stopover than the solar version all day in the sun.

• I really have to go back. It is really worse than anbybody says. I returned the solar unit I bought to have a plain one (even here in spain would mean almost endless battery).

During harsh light conditions (early in the morning or sunset) it is barely readable, complete useless. The base unit is perfect (could be better but it is just fine), just like the 1030 plus I have before.

That is my experience and advice.

• That is what I was thinking and after researching it and reading reviews by those who said pretty much the same thing. Thank you for the response.

• For some reason my inaugural ride the Varia radar/light was not recognizable by the 1040.......got home after the ride and it sync'd right up! LOL

I was able to set my primary screen to show the metrics I wish to see on a ride.  Climb Pro worked well too.......I was surprised a few of the climbs I did today on a short jaunt were not on the CP pop up. I need to research that aspect a bit closer. But overall, I like it better than my base 1030. However, the 1030 has and did do all I ever really needed. 

• So you got the non-Solar version? Me and my wife have a Solar and non-Solar version and I agree that solar charging is a gimmick not even worth the darker screen, never mind the price increase. However, 1040 Solar also has double memory, and this is something I was willing to pay for.

• I have a Edge 1030 since 2018 and the battery is still holding strong 10+ hrs. Pretty much give me everything what I expected and never had any problems with it.

Seeing now 1030 no further support tinkering maybe upgrading = future proofing to 1040, but can't justify the $ jump.

• I have the solar and the extra costs aren't really worth it. Last summer I did 2 months with 2000 km without charging but as charging isn't a hassle it's only a very slight convenience advantage of the solar.

• That is how I looked at it when making my decision. 

• Yes, I purchased the non-solar. I got it for just a hair over $500. So the savings to me compared to the solar was a big plus.