Edge 1040 Solar - Switches on when charging

Why does E1040 19.19 turn on when charging? This feature makes no sense. If power drops/fails while charging, unit stays on draining battery. Please remove or make an option in settings. This is particularly annoying when charging from a vehicle where power may be turned on/off by opening of doors etc. Please remove or make an option in settings. 

• Same for me for Edge 1040 non Solar. It is a bad idea. If I want to star it, I will push the on button. That is what is it for.

• Same behavior on two 1040 solar here.

I found out, that charging is much more quickly with switched on unit. Perhaps fast-charge needs an switched on unit?!?

• Got so excited with just installed v19.21 that the auto-start no longer works, but wait for it....when you unplug or remove power the unit starts. In our environment we have regular power failures which means the unit starts on power fail if plugged in. What is wrong with dev guys at Garmin. Perhaps they don't actually use these devices. Who wants a device to start when you remove power. Please can they just leave the on/off of the device to the "Power" button.

• The wizards at Garmin have also introduced in 19.21 that if the unit is on and you plug it in , maybe using a power-bank on a long trip, it now shuts down the unit. WTF. Garmin, please just leave the powering on/off the unit to the user via the button.  

• I found out, that charging is much more quickly with switched on unit.

On my 1040 non solar with 19.21 Beta:
    charge powered on: 0,55 A
    charge powered off: 0,33 A

As far as I remember, the  device always has powered on in the past when pluged in to a charger.

• if the unit is on and you plug it in , maybe using a power-bank on a long trip, it now shuts down the unit.

Just tested this on my 1040 non solar with 19.21 Beta:

I was not able to reproduce this bug. My device stays on and shows the „charging lightning“ in battery icon.

• That is interesting, and if I need a superfast charge, then I guess I could turn it on, but regardless, I don't want the unit starting on it's own, for the reasons explained that of the power goes of for any reason the unit stays on.

This is all currently irrelevant, as the 19.21 sw that I was prompted to install does not allow the unit to be turned on while charging. I think the dev guys are scrambling from one bug to another on this issue. Hopefully they get it right soon. None of my pre-1040 Edge units behaved like this. 

• apologies for confusion. In my last test I had plugged it into a cable connected to my PC, which altered behaviour as it was seen as data connection. When connected to regular power the problem remains that the unit automatically turns on when charging starts, or when charge power removed.  

• This is all currently irrelevant, as the 19.21 sw that I was prompted to install does not allow the unit to be turned on while charging.

Don‘t get me wrong - I don't want to speak for Garmin…

But my device behaves differently (or I‘ve got you wrong):
    When I plug in my shut off device to the wall charger, it fully turns on and charges with 0,55 A - which makes my device warm. Therefore I always turn the device off after the carging of my fully turned on and pluged in device has started. Then the device shuts off and shows the charging screen (xx%), charging with only 0,33 A. After I have unpluged the device from the wall charger at the end of charging it goes off completely.

• Thanks for input. I will redo the test more fully with 19.21 and revert.