Frustrations with Edge 1040

I have had the Edge 1040 for almost a year now and this post is the result of me becoming increasingly disappointed with the device. I also own an Epix 2 and have previously owned a Fenix 3 HR -- both of these have been almost if not completely flawless. In addition, I have had the Edge 305 and 820, which were not that great, but yet not quite as problematic as the 1040.

So what's up with the 1040? Let's see...

Does it connect to sensors properly? Definitely not. Seems there's roughly 50% probability of the Edge not finding any sensors at the start of the ride. Even when it does find them, they can drop out during the ride, but that's much less likely to happen.

Does it record properly? No. Occasionally, on longer rides, the Edge reboots itself. After the reboot the recording can continue, but you still lose part of the activity.

Does it save the activity properly? No. It seems that sometimes the FIT file can become corrupted and cannot be synced with WiFi, Bluetooth or USB. Furthermore, recently the estimated  VO2max value went nuts after a (partially?) corrupted activity and now the Firstbeat algorithms think I need several days of recovery after a short commute. Since the metrics do not take the manually given VO2max into account at all, there seems no other way to fix this but to wait that the VO2max slowly gets back to its original value.

Does it sync properly over Bluetooth? No, it really does not. Especially if both Epix and Edge try to sync with the same phone, after a (short) while one of them stops syncing and almost always it's the Edge. If the Epix and Edge are paired to different phones, then the problems take far longer to appear. Rebooting the device can help as well as forcibly killing the Garmin  Connect app and wiping the cache. Sometimes it requires removing the connection between the phone and Edge and pairing again. But the fix is only temporary and sooner or later the syncing issue reappears.

Does it sync properly over WiFi then? Only if you manually select sync via WiFi. When the Bluetooth sync does not work, it does not automatically fall back to WiFi.

Do map updates work properly? Well you know the answer. 2023 EU cycling maps update never seems to get to the end.

Does it even shut down properly? Ha, no! Occasionally it just hangs just before shutting down. This seems most likely to happen if the Bluetooth sync has already stopped working.

That's already quite a long list of issues and I did not even have to mention things like the grade lag and ClimbPro being off. Except now I just did. The funny thing is that I think the initial firmware version only had the syncing problem and the grade lag. All the rest are regressions.

I've grown tired of waiting for the bugs to get fixed and just about ready to give up. At the moment I'm seriously thinking going back to the Edge 820 with a bad battery. If I need to record the activities with the Epix anyway, the 820 is good enough for a map display.

• It's January 2024, and I have all the problems with the 1040 that you do.  I had an earlier version and recently bought a new model hoping that maybe the first unit had old hardware versions, but the new unit has the same issues.  I have a 2022 Specialized Tarmac and I have the following sensors: Di2, Power meter, and the Polar HR strap.  I thought maybe it was the Polar HR, so I bought the Garmin strap and no changes, I still drop sensors randomly.  I went back to the Polar HR strap as it is far more accurate than the Garmin Strap.  I also log my runs on my Apple Ultra 2 and it basically mirrors the heart rate of the Polar while the Garmin would fluctuate up to 20 beats off which is also unacceptable. I am bummed as I have been a big longtime fan of Garmin.  I have owned several Fenix watches and several of their bike Edge devices, but if they won't come clean and acknowledge that this model is defective, then I need to move on.  I opened up a case with Garmin with the first 1040, and they had me send them logs after rides to review with no resolution.  

• I'm honest, I experienced similar issues with the 1030, but since I start to use the 1040, all the frustration has gone. It is really strange your case, the 1040 is much more stable that any other Garmin Edge devices.

• ciao io ho messo da parte il 1040 e uso il forerunner 965 !!!!!!!!

• Me too, I have no problems with sensors or other issues:
    Remote, HR Garmin, Speedsensor Garmin1, Stages power, Varia Radar, iPhone X.

No problems at all…

• I have problems with my 1040 not pairing to Power Meters unless I manually click the Connect button.  It also doesn't like the Di2 paring to the EW-EU111 sensor although it works fin against the older EW-EU101 and newer 12 speed Dura-Ace.

I've also noticed that after a ride it can take for ever for the device to upload the ride.

I have had issues with it not shutting down correctly from time to time but not too often.

Its most annoying.

• Just jumping in here hoping Garmin responds.  Very new Edge 1040 Solar.  3 cases:  All (3) it missed a portion of a ride.  A 50 mile ride was 37, a 73 mile ride was 47 and century was 73.  In all (3) it completed the map by drawing a straight line from where it stopped to where I finished.  As if I caught an airplane ride home....or "as the crow flies.  I've rebooted many times--no help.  Help!!!   Aslo, when I reboot it reverts my screen settings to some prior settings--salt in the wound!  Please, please, please!

• Do you have screenshots of the map? what GPS type are you using? Go to activity profiles > satellite system to check. 

• GPS is Multi-GNSS Multi-band (titled Best Accuracy).  Couple theories I have:  1.  I sometimes add a waypoint.while making a rout..took me a while to figure out I don't want to do that...happens mostly on out and back map making when it doesn't like me coming back on the same route.  ?  I finally found it only adds the point and updates the mileage if I hit done...(or finished or end point...can't remember exactly...even tho I'm not done.  I just keep adding 'done" points until I'm actually done.  That 'hack' has worked.  But usually only an issue on out and back routes. Pure loops are no problem.  

Another theory is even though I've picked the course, maybe I forget to hit ride and just hit the green start button?  BTW: I always hit X (no) when it asks me Navigate to Start?. (I've found it sometimes takes a bad route to the start and I know where the start is--99% of the time).  This may relate to a 2nd problem I've been having:

Problem 2:  While in the map mode it suddenly is not telling me distance to my next turn.  (Turn Guidance is enabled). Rather it merely tells me what road I'm on.  Thus I'm left to navigate by watching the purple lines of my route.  It has the route loaded.

Greatly appreciate your assistance on both of these issues--the "fly home" and the "loss of distance and name of road to next turn at the top of the map mode screen".

Thanks in advance,

Dave 

• Thank you, Dave. This map view is consistent with the timer being stopped, or GPS being lost, but based on that you are using the Multi band one it looks to be the timer. Are you using a speed sensor? auto pause? 

In regards to the 2nd item, do you have guide text enabled? and have you tried uninstalling and re installing your edge's map on Express? See here for details: Managing Maps on Garmin Devices With Garmin Express 

• Progress.  Speed sensor:  No.  (assuming you are referring to something other than the Edge 1040 Solar.  Obviously it measures speed--but I asume that is via its GPS...and a lot of software.

Auto pause:  Yes I have it on.  Is that bad?  I thought it useful for getting an accurate overall average speed.  (Not penalized for lunch, stop signs, mechanicals, etc...Am I mistaken?

Guide Text is set at "Always Display"  Should I change it to "When Navigating"  ?

Last:  Have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling Managing Maps..  Will check it out.

Thanks