This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1040 Solar full restart when deviating even slightly from course during navigation

Is anyone else having issue with their 1040 crashing and doing a full restart during navigation? This happens whenever I deviate from the loaded course. The unit can go into a cycle of crashing/restarting multiple times. This makes the device absolutely worthless if the path you are traveling does not track exactly with the loaded course. 

I first noticed this issue in October when I did a 600k ride. The device restarted no less than 30 times. I contacted support, did some testing and sent error logs. The issue persisted and seemed to go away in January, but now it has returned. I'm beyond frustrated. I bought this computer specifically to use for bikepacking races. The courses for those races seldom follow trails exactly so that makes this device absolutely worthless for navigating. 

This appears to be an ongoing issue. I see posts about crashes/restarts during navigation going back to when the device was first launched. Yet each time I contact support, they act like they've never heard of this before.

• Got the same, first time last year in August and every other ride with navigation on the Edge crashes every time I ride out the route. 
    Did also contact with support and they did nothing, lol. 

• I also had this problem, this edge 1040 is starting to annoy me, too expensive for the service rendered, the bugs make me forget the good autonomy and prefer to go back to the edge 830 with better readability with a smaller screen.. .

• I had it happen once, shortly after buying it last June. Hasn't happened since. 

• I've had this case twice so far. Go somewhere, use the navigation as a track back and in some place do not follow the trail but turn somewhere nearby. Garmin will reboot and stop training. You have to use play to continue recording the ride. I will test it again. Garmin Edge 1040 v. 16.13

• Has anyone had this happen recently under version 16.13?

• I checked two more times, it was always a reboot. But updating to version 17.26 solved the problem. I don't know if it's because of this thread. In the new version of fw it works. For my part, thank you.

• I will try an upgrade, but I'm not optimistic. I've contacted Garmin multiple times. I am getting the sense that this issue is not getting specifically addressed. I keep getting a runaround with wild guesses on how to fix things. The last rep I talked to seemed to think the issue was the unit loosing GPS signal. I do GIS/GPS work for a living and after looking at the files I can definitely say loosing signal was not the issue. And even if it was, why would the software crash and restart? They sent me a new device and that initially seemed to solve problem, but now it started again. It's definitely somewhere in the firmware. I think it's a bug that's popping up when you have a specific combination of settings and go off route. 

On an aside, is it just me or is Garmin making things much too complicated with these newer devices. They are spending a ton of effort adding bling features, but in doing so they are ending up with devices that are buggy and pissing off customers. Personally, I don't need virtual partner, rerouting, route making on the fly etc. I just want a reliable device that can show a route, record where I'm going and record data like HR and power. 

I've been a loyal Garmin customer for years, but the lack of reliability with this new device is forcing me to look at alternatives like Wahoo. I know I'm not alone in this regard.