This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia UT800 Automatic Headlight Beam Adjutsment Flickering

I have both a Varia UT800 (2.40) and RTL515, they both connect just fine to my Edge 1040.

I came from an Edge 530, and the introduction of the Light widget is a really nice touch, its great to be able to override the light mode and some of the automatic features.

I've noticed an issue, however with the Automatic UT800 Headlight Beam Adjustment, which worked just fine on my Edge 530.

Picture this, you're riding down a pitch black country lane and the automatic algorithm decides to turn the lght off, then maybe flicker it on and off. I've not found any pattern in its behaviour around speed or gradient of road, typically i've been on fairly flat roads. Its completely dangerous, and i've had to resort to manually overriding the Headlight Beam Adjustment (via the light widget) to be either High or Low. The light then behaves as expected.

Admittadly i've not been out in the dark for around a month now, so maybe this has been fixed in recent firmware.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers

• I have this issue as well. Have been as you describe all winter. Thought it was only me having this issues. I tried every setting, gave up and just accepted that this is happening! Did not encounter this on my 1030!

• Glad im not the only one, ive been meaning to post about this for some time now too. I read alot of people having issues with forming the light network, that used to be a thing on my Edge 530 but touch wood the network is solid on the 1040.

Have you tried overriding the beam adjustment, and does it fix it for you? Do you also have the RTL515 aswell?

Seems like theres a glitch somewhere in the maths, probably something to do with gradient being zero or the likes that makes a bad computation - hopefully Garmin look at these forums and spot this post as its dangerous to be honest.

• Yes I have tried everything, and it seems to ignore my settings regarding this. I even enrolled to the Beta program to see if that would help, but same same!

• How bizarre, if i change the Headlight Beam Adjustment from AUTO to either of the other options from within the Lighting widget on the 1040, it works just fine. As you can see in the picture i also have Light Mode in Auto aswell.

• Same with me!! I only use auto when commuting to work, 

• Since I have the light, with 1030+ and 1040, I've always used SmartBikeLights app/data field to control my UT800( and radar/rear lights). 

It is very easy to set some rules for the lights and, most important, very easy to override the current mode with just a click on the desired mode in the corresponding data screen. 

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888#0