This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Directional arrows disappeared

Hi everybody,

I try to understand why the directional arrows on my edge 1040 disappear.

When opening a route, I see them, but as soon as I am on the track, they disappear.

I just want to add that I do not want to receive the turn guidance information. Therefore, I have disabled this option. I don't know if there is a link.

Thanks for your help.

It worked perfectly on my old edge 1030.

Regards

David

• I don’t like them (direction arrow / chevrons), would like to make them disappear but they refuse to go, how do you do it?

• If I could explain... No I don't know why. Could you give me your navigation options enabled and disabled to try to find what are the differences between us....

• Do you see this behaviour in every profile?

• Could you give me your navigation options enabled and disabled to try to find what are the differences between us....

Nothing exotic, like you I don't use "Turn Guidance" but simply load a course to be followed and press ride and the arrows / chevrons then decorate the route line. Happens with Road or Indoor profiles, I have played with the MapThemes but the arrows appear regardless of whether I am using one of my customised themes or one of the Garmin standard ones.
    (my customisations are to change the route line and location cursor color and to remove some of the "land cover" items like forests, parks, etc, all to improve visibility of the route, the arrows detract from this visibility, IMO)

• David, It happened to me yesterday, maybe yours was a "ghost course" issue to?

forums.garmin.com/.../1519486

• I succeded to recover the directional arrows but only by having the turn guidance at the same time. I haven't founf the solution to remove turn guidance and to have arrows at the same time.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

same problem here 

• I suspect the arrows are processed when the route is calculated and the pink line displayed, and that happen only with turn guidance on. That is the process that match the route with the map database and generate the turn guidance. If you ride a course without turn guidance that processing does not happen and only the magenta line is displayed. That line is the simple track contained in the route without anything else. Edge devices always had magenta lines for the course, and a pink line for the navigation. Most of the time the computed pink line matches the agenda line and overlap it so you only see that one, but sometimes they differ, for example if the magenta line take you in the reverse direction on a oneway, the pink line with not allow for that. So arrows are part of the pink line. not the magenta line.

• So arrows are part of the pink line. not the magenta line.

The screen shots a few comments above are all with turn guidance disabled and (bigger) chevrons are shown

You can easily test your theory and find it is not correct. I never use “ turn guidance” but always (mostly) get the direction arrows, in fact on all edges the arrows / chevrons are oddly 30% bigger when turn guidance is disabled. What is being reported in this and other topics is a BUG where the device gets confused and activates  a second “ghost course” (cached from a previous and even 500km + remote activity) which can display & give next turn instruction , the ghost course has the chevrons and the course being followed loses them

Described here with screen shots,  forums.garmin.com/.../1519486

• You have a pink line so the route is being processed. To have no processing you need to turn off both turn guidance and sharp bend warnings. That said it is quite possible the arrows are still displayed even with both turned off, I didn't try it lately. But I think you are correct on this.