This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dislike 1040 so much right now, HAVE YOU....

Hi,

Due to the fact that not just is the gradient % totally off (see over 500 posts about this) and unusable, the climb pro is terrible now too as it is off from where you are and what it shows on the screen. This made a 101 mile ride with 23 climbs unenjoyable.

**Has ANYONE gone BACK to the 1030 (not plus) from their 1040 as that is the last device that seemed to work fine for these 2 features?

thanks

• Is it REALLY unusable? The gradient thing is annoying but far from making it unusable. Perhaps we are different use cases since we done have hills where I live but I really like my 1040 Solar even though I think the solar is a gimmick currently.

For me it feels much faster than my old 1030+, I prefer the new interface on the home screen. When I first used the 1040 and compared it the 1030+ I felt as though the 1030 was ancient equipment. Mind you it could also have been my head justifying the price I paid but, overall, I am happier with the 1040 than with the 1030,

• Unusable? well it all depends on what you expect from a bike computer and what is important.

If doing much hill/climbing and using Climb Pro and the elevation map and knowing where you are in relation to the right/orange/green parts on the map as you climb than the 1040 is junk.

However if that is not something you care about and like the new interface and pretty colors of the 1040 then I am sure it works for you.

My question was really if anyone has gone back to the 1030 (not even the plus) from 1040.

• yep. not only this but the entire device sucks.

gpx navigation withou instructions, without chevron.

solar not doing close to anything.

have now my third edge 1040 due to all issues.

will see how this one goes, last attempt.

Bought a second hand 1030 as that is the one which worked fine: additional maps, water stops, climpro, navigation etcetera.

can live with a bit slower calculation and smaller battery.

Garmin has rolled out this unit at a half-finnished status and I am not willing to be any kind of test-person paying that amount of money for it.

• how much did you pay for the old 1030?

• Yes, I have bought Wahoo V2 and use it on the hills

really enjoy to have instant gradient (even better than 1030) and temperature

1040 is good but until Garmin will not fix gradient , I will take Wahoo on mountains

photos.app.goo.gl/nBP83V1qwMxMSd3K7

• Bought one at € 175 missing a few pixels in the upper right/l lowe left corner.

As this doesn't harm and all the rest worked fine, I closed this deal.

By checking various second hand websites and if you have some time (no hurry), you can find such at pproximately € 200.

However take note that a lot of fake advertisements exist therefor I choose to close deal only if it's closeby enough to get it myself and test the device first.

• There are alot o people that are selling “old” 1030 

I have trade in my 1030 for 200Eur for 1040

• I sold my 1030 and would never go back. My 1040 solar has been perfect, you must have gotten a dud.

I guess I don’t see how gradient lag could be such a deal breaker, look at the road ahead of you if you need to see what the grade is. 

• Let me explain in one paralel

-You but new car, shiny red one ,in broshure it states that it will go to 230 km/h max speed

Instead you go for a ride , put the pedal down , and will go only to 90km/h , but , you will be happy as the car is new and red? And because you see nice roads ahead?

If you dont go on the mountains, I understand you

, most people does not use at all gradient , or navigation or training or any of the functionality

This thas not mean that they shoud not work corectly