This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How many rides are needed to calculate Cycling Ability

1st, I apologize for kinda putting 2 questions in one post:

1. I purchased the 1040 and it only imported 30-40 of my activities.  I exported all 90 of my rides (I just started this season) from Garmin Connect and copied the files into the Garmin/Activities folder.  The 1040 seems to recognize that 90+ activities are there, but Cycling Ability did not change at all. 

2. The Totals under the History section seems to be inaccurate also.  Rides shows 90+ rides and I can scroll down far enough to get to my very first ride in March 2022.  However, Totals only shows 45 Rides.

How do I get the 1040 to recalculate cycling ability and other stats using all the .fit files in the Activities folder?

Thank you.

• 1) IIRC only rides recorded with the 1040 count for the calculation.

• Ok, so the blue 5 bicycle guy is the number of rides recorded by the Edge 1040.  I never see the cycling ability change.  The Edge did it with the original 40-45 imported rides.  I added the remaining rides to the Activities folder to make it 90+ rides. And I have recorded 5 rides since getting the 1040 that were short, faster rides.  However, the cycling ability remains the exact same.  Granted, I'm using screenshots since there are no numbers with the cycling ability screen.

• 1. I don't know the actual algorithm, but I note the Cycling Ability and Load Focus pages reflect your last 28 days. Adding more historical data won't really change this. And even adding more data within the 28 days won't necessarily change the Cycling Ability analysis, unless you change the TYPE of riding you do (ie. changing the balance of Anaerobic, High Aerobic and Low Aerobic).

2. Try importing past activities into the New Files folder for the Edge to process them, rather than Activities (you may need to delete the originally imported activities to avoid duplicates).

• Thanks for the replies.  I put everything in New Files after deleting the imported activities.  You all are correct, no change to cycling ability.  The past few weeks, I've been doing short, hard rides but the ability never changes.  I don't see any of the 3 bars moving.  Maybe my short hard ride replaced a short hard ride from 28 days ago.  I'll just keep riding, it's not a deal breaker.  I may delete that glance so I don't even get distracted by cycling ability.