This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FW14.20: Dangerous behavior when controlling indoor

Did a Garmin Trainings Plan workout with the Edge 1040 controlling my Tacx Neo 2T (FW036): Loaded the workout and followed a course.

Every lap the pedaling resistant dropped to zero when a new lap starts! I nearly went over the bar - this drop of resistant is insane!

But it seems to be one issue which Garmin will not solve before one has an serious accident... 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/213914/indoor-workouts-with-trainer-resistance-control?pifragment-1290=3#pifragment-1290=1 

(I followed this course several time without an workout - I had never a drop of resistant!)

Course:

Workout:

• It should not change.

If I follow a course I want just to ride along the road I have chosen. When I do a workout (trainings plan ride) I expect NO change of the gradient of the course - like I go outside and ride on a real road.

The workout should in that case be not more than a pice of paper sticking on the handlebar to let me know how hard to go.

If I want to control the workout the trainer I would use the “Follow a Workout” mode of the Edge - Here I would expect that the Edge adjust the resistance of the Tacx according to the workout - here a ramp could make sense (my experience with Edge & Neo is that short, e.g. 5 sec,  intervals will not work).

If I use “Set Grade” I want to have every time the grade I set - no changes I the workout tells me to change the effort.

“Set Resistance” should provide a constant power till I change it.

But “Follow a Course” or “Follow an Activity”: In that modes the Edge should exactly follow the course/activity. I a workout is active Edge should just show on the display what I should do - Like I ride outside on the road.

• We are talking about multiple things here.

When following a workout the Edge should use the power range provided at each step. The Edge should set the resistance to be the mid point of range specified for each step.

When following  a course the Edge should adjust the grade value based on the elevation data contained in the course file.

• Probleme is that between 2 steps, edge release power a few seconds . For a 30/30 workout, it's unusable. 

If workout do :

12X(

30s: 180W-200W

30s: 380W-400W

)

Between the 2 steps , resistance is released to null !

PS: i dont't use power zone range but manual custom ranges so i expect that edge will use 12x(190W/290W) in this case

• sorry if I was not clear:

I want to follow a course while doing a workout  - just as you would do on road: chose a suitable road (trafic, hils...) and start the workout: warm up, high intensity, recovery....

And with this setting I do not want to have any changes in the resistance when I finish a step in the workout.

• Thanks for the extra information. That is an issue.

@mutnig I don't think what you want to do is possible. What type are targets are you using the workout? Power?

• As you can see in the provided files, I use power zones as workout targets.

Edge let me chose “Follow a Course” and do a Workout - and Edge controls Tacx to simulate the gradient of my course.

The risk of serious injury results out of removing the resistant at each step of the workout.

• When my trainer in ERG mode is controlled by the Garmin 1040, between intervals for a short while the resistance drops dramatically. E.g. I'm riding at 150W and the next interval is at 350W, between these intervals I feel the resistance drops almost to 0W for 0.5 seconds.
    Is this normal?

• This is not normal but it's the behavior of garmin edges and garmin doesn't seems to be concerned by that problem at it exist from generation to generation of edges ...

• I don’t have experience with “workouts” but do a fair bit of following a simulated course with the 1040 controlling and to some extent I have the opposite  problem, on my Tacx Flux in simulation mode the resistance never seems to “drop to zero” when controlled by my 1040 (or previously my 530). The base resistance when the grade is 0% or negative (down hill) is fairly high (hard) , certainly harder than a flat ride outside. When the Flux is controlled by the Tacx Training App the zero grade resistance level feels much easier and my reported speed is consistently considerably higher on flat (0% grade) sections eg 23-25kph with 1040 controlling and 32-34 with app controlling. Of course with negative grades the gamified/virtual speed with the Tacx App controlling is more like 40+ and while negative resistance is not possible the zero/negative grade resistance feels much less (really zero?)

ps is it possible to log or view the FE-C commands being issued by the 1040 as the results (resistance changes) certainly “feel” different between 1040 & App