Lost Activity

I finished my ride and pressed the Stop button. Had a phone call and when I looked at the Garmin again the Activity seems to have vanished. No Discard or Save buttons just the main screen to start over again. Checked the Activities directory after getting home no data for the ride itself saved. Any way to recover the Activity?

• Seems like the tracking was not auto-saved at all. No any file on device found or even cached or some process must have purged the whole recording. It was a 50K ride over 2 hours of decent hill climbing all kaput.

• Just lost my ride as well on my 1040 the Cape Argus of all things, also had it paused and it just exited. 

Did you do a file recovery and if so which tool did you use man? 

Help would be greatly appreciated!

• Sorry to hear this. I was never able to recover my activity from that significant ride. Garmin Support offered to replace the unit but I decided not to as this is clearly not a hardware but software issue.

• Exactly this happened to me as well today. Garmin should look into it. 

• D9A93053.zip

By accident I discarded activity when was pausing it. Found 3 .fit files on edge, is it possible to repair?

• Were these from \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder? Were these recovered using a 3rd-party tool? Recuva for example. You would typically need something like that to recover files that were deleted. Also, you cannot use the device at all after deleting, as this increases the chance that the recoverable fit files will be overwritten with new data. Also, these don't look like activity files, more like metrics with no timestamp records. Only 1 kb in size, I have a larger fit file walking to the mailbox. Blush 

• Those are not activity files. They contain metric information about load.

• I have had this happen to me on various occasions....
    * On Saturday, I paused activity after I stopped and when I looked at Garmin screen again, I was back on home screen with no sign of my activity. I looked at the debug logs (have debug enabled) in ./Debug/EventLogs/ on device I see IncidentStatusNotification at the same time the activity was lost. So seems like an incident was detected (while I was stationary) and my activity was lost? Is this possible or was the activity discarded by an undesired touch screen activation on the discard option on the pause screen.
    * I paused activity, and rain drops on the touchscreen activated the discard button and I lost my ride.

Yesterday, I tried searching the garmin filesystem for the discarded activity to see if there was any tmp or cached file, and also the deleted files on the FAT filesystem with no luck. Strangly enough  Excercise Load seemed to know that I did an activity on Saturday - don't know where it got the info from, because this is not available to any other Garmin function.

• Thanks for sharing. I was unable to replicate the issue. I now always use 1040 + Another GPS device for tracking significant rides. Can't trust the Garmin alone!

• Happened to me today as well. Finished and "saved" the ride. Nothing appears in Activity, but the training status got updated. I think it is related to a corrupted FIT file. I did successfully recover the FIT file by using Disk Drill, but the FIT file is corrupted. I tried to use the FIT File Repair Tool but it told "subscript out of range" and then stoped importing.