This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error message when installing map updates via Garmin Express (win10) on brand-new Edge 1040.

Hello All,

I keep getting Error message when installing map updates via Garmin Express (win10) on brand-new Edge 1040.
I've been on the chat "support" with Garmin for like 2 hours, going through  a (lengthy) checklist. Checking system, uninstalling and reinstalling things, etc.
They finally said that I need to send it back to them.
I just wanted to give this venue a try. Hopefully one or more of you had this issue and got it resolved.
Here are some screenshots.

Thanks in advance. Eric.

• I can't offer a solution, but I did the same thing only one day ago.  I only had the US map to update, for some reason.  Have you tried doing one of the updates at a time, rather than both at once?

• Yes, i tried that as well. Tried one, then tried the other, then tried both again... Dave thing each time. I've done everything else, including resetting the Edge, uninstalling/reinstalling Express.

I've even tried 2 other computers, including one with an older version of Express.

Still the same thing.

I think I'm going to return this unit and get a new one. Shrug

• Stupid question but are you using original usb cable ? I have same error when i used  my phone cable not original garmin USB-C

• Actually that's not a stupid question at all...

I think that is literally the ONLY thing that I have not tried besides everything else...

Unfortunately, I was able to send it back inside the return window.

I have ordered another unit. With that one I'll make sure to use the original Garmin cable that comes with it!

Thank you for the suggestion!

• I don't think I know a garmin user who doesn't have a magic cable, and a handful of ones that only work sometimes.

• Hmmm, can you get me one of these magic cables?

I don't believe I have one... ThinkingShrug♂️

• I have The same problem with my Garmin Edge 1040.  I have used a Garmin Edge 830 for several years prior to this Device. in the past, the cord was always the fix.  But, my Garmin 1040 connects to my Mac's Garmin express and the Mac mounts the edge as a Drive. I can transfer route files from my computer to my Edge 1040 device without issue.

It just will not update. As I said, the 1040 mounts on my Mac which suggests the cord is not the problem. 

I have a older Garmin DriveSmart 61 and I had problems connecting it to my Mac. On both older devices I had to  fiddled around to find a solution.  On the Edge 830, I did have to find a cord that would work. On the Drivesmart 61, I had to turn on the device before hooking it up.  Then the GPS would go into file transfer mode.And, then it would update.

However, the Edge 1040 is still not updating and I am using the cord included with the device. I really think it's a firmware problem, which kind of sucks. The possible failure candidate moving parts appears like the Garmin Express App on the computer or the Garmin Edge 1040's firmware.   If I am correct it's fatal.  I can't believe two devices have the same flaw, unless all Edge 1040's have the problem, which again is a much bigger issue.

I have not tried Garmin support yet.  I guess I will give it a try and update my post if necessary.

Any help with updating the edge 1040 would be much appreciated.

• I also get this error, using latest Garmin Express on Mac. Haven't tried using different cables yet.