This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fitness Age and resting heartrate - calculation is wrong

I've got the problem, that the garmin calculates my fitness age five years too high, because my "resting HR" is always the average heartrate of my last ride! I added the resting HR manually in Garmin Connect (and it was transferred to the 1040) but after my ride today, it still said: "your resting heartrate is 132".

Second problem - in the app I set my "weekly intensity goal" to 350 - but the garmin still says "your goal is 150"! How can I change it?

Thank you.

Stefan

• Okay I think I see the problem.. The lowest zone, warm up -> zone 1 is 50% - 60% of max heart rate. So the Garmin 1040 allows Resting range to be 30 to 50% of your max heart. In my case then the allowed Resting range is 30 - 89 as my max heart rate is 179.

So the issue for you might be your max heart rate, is this set to auto detect? if so then you might not have pushed your self hard enough to come near you real max heart rate. If you know that your max heart rate is correct then Garmin might have a software issue where they might have made som assumption regarding resting heart, max heart, age, fitness that can cause an invalid Resting range

• And you clicked the tick to confirm this value "44"?
    After returning to the "Heart rate zones" screen, as the 3rd parameter from the top you can see "44 bpm"?

• Please see my response above regarding max heart rate

• My maxHR is 184bpm, LTHR: 169bpm. In addition, I have "automatic detection" controls turned on.
    The method of counting zones is "% LTHR" in the ranges:
    Z1 - <81%
    Z2 - 81 - 89%
    Z3 - 89 - 93%
    Q4 - 93 - 99%
    Q5 - 99 - 109%

• Without being an expert those zones looks a bit weird, and not what my Garmin 1040 initially used. However trying out different values of max heart rate, my zones for % max and % LTHR  is completely messed up with zones from 4 and below all being between 50% and 50%. I give up Garmin... 

• Hi, sorry, I was not precise - I've changed it with the Garmin Connect App (!) with the connected 1040 (and then "own statistics"...).

Today - it was not possible to connect over the app to the Garmin - maybe a problem of the beta 14.14? Don't know.

Please try to reset your heartrate zones (button upper right) - mine are 50-60%, 60-70% and so on....and the resting heartrate is 58 (and I just tried to change it - i can set it to 30 or 80 or whatever....

• Same here. Garmin support is not supportive at all. They basically ignored my request and answered that the edge does not calculate the RHR. 

• I find that the trouble is my resting heart rate is 47 when I have just woken up from night sleep. (This is how medics define "resting heart rate"). If I start a ride in the middle of the day, my 1040 decides that my resting heart rate is, for example, 75, or higher, as I have have just moved about a bit and started my ride. I suppose the answer will be to wake up first thing in the morning clothed and ready to jump on my bike immediately, so that the Heart rate monitor will send "47" as my starting figure!!!

• Well, I gave up, hoping that Garmin is even willing to fix this. I just realized that intensity minutes were not added from my heavy 37miles ride, which worked until recently. Garmin support suggested in another thread that the user should buy the latest and greatest HRM-Pro Plus for another 100 bucks to keep using intensity minutes.

The entire Garmin connect system is completely unreliable and not worth using. As I am an old chap (58) riding an expensive  bike (because I can afford it :-) ) and I am not going to win any races, I just give up. I keep using my Garmin 1040 but I do not at all rely on all the training features.  

I am so fed up with Garmin, I can barely express it.