This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

After 10 Days Bicycle Holidays with the 1040 Solar - Bug 2 - GPS went wrong

After a long tunnel (2km) the GPS went totally wrong. The track was continued in nowwhere and dosen't go back on the street.

After stoping the record, switching 1040 in standby, returning to operation it took a minute to fix the GPS position.

GPS in "best" setting.

• Not sure how you can call loss of GPS in a tunnel a bug?  I think you would have found that it regained a fix anyway.  Although most GPS systems are too good at regaining a fix if you are still moving. So far I’ve found the 1040 very sensitive and very fast at getting a GPS fix.  It will easily pick up indoors (as did the 1030).  The 1000 and 800 units were no so good or fast at picking up indoors. 

• The problem is NOT the loss of GPS in a tunnel.

I complain the behavior AFTER leaving the tunnel. There was no GPS fix within acceptable time and without going to standby/restart the device.

Please check the screenshot:

- After entering the tunnel the track is moving in a straight line to the right. No problem for me, the was no GPS reception.

- When the tunnel and the straight line ends, the red track have the SAME SHAPE as the street but WITH AN OFFSET to the street. This offset ist the bug or problem!

- After standby and restart of the 1040, the track jumped back to the correct location. Straight line at the bottom of the picture.

The tunnel was approx 2km, the track with offset to the street is also approx 2km. Lot of time for the gps receiver to fix the offset. And it was on top of a hill at 1900m - so good gps conditions.

• Yes, sounds like a bug or error  Do you have "lock on road" active?

With Edge 1030 I had an race in Alps , and when I enter in the tunnel , next second I lost GPS signal , but did not had any problem when I return (from mapping point of view) 

With 1040 , no tunnel (or at least only short ones) 

• "lock on road" is not active.

my previous edge was also 1030. same as you - i never had any problem with tunnels. there was always a very quick gps fix after the tunnel.

Garmin is heavily promoting 1040 GPS-accuracy. So I think this is a strange and serious bug...

• I had the same problem this summer in the mountains, but without a tunnel, while riding on a road in a mountain gorge; the GPS stalled and then only came back to the road a few kilometers later.
    Lock on road was disabled.
    The 1040 has the same GPS bugs as the old Edge 800, the 1030 and 1030+ are better.